weight going up

Options
2»

Replies

• lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    If you aren't weighing fruits and vegetables how do you know how much you are eating? There are small apples and HUGE apples. There could be a difference of at least 50 grams or more in some cases. One innacuracy is not a big deal but 5 in a day adds up.
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I go by those "a fist is the same size as 1 cup, 4 dice is 1 ounce, fish/meat serving is a deck of card..." I weighed myself, 3 days later, and I "lost" 3 #.... I guess it was just water weight. Which brings me to another question, what causes water weight to go up, I know TOM, and too much salt. I've read here, working out can make water weight go up, though I'm curious why. what else?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I go by those "a fist is the same size as 1 cup, 4 dice is 1 ounce, fish/meat serving is a deck of card..." I weighed myself, 3 days later, and I "lost" 3 #.... I guess it was just water weight. Which brings me to another question, what causes water weight to go up, I know TOM, and too much salt. I've read here, working out can make water weight go up, though I'm curious why. what else?

You are eating more than you think. It'll be eye opening when you get a food scale!

Your weight fluctuates day to day, which can be frustrating if you are expecting a certain direction of weight movement. Get yourself a trending app (I use libra) - when you log your daily weight, it evens out the fluctuations and shows a general trend.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options

yup, definitely need a scale! you'll see...
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,943 Member
    Options
    I don't know if everyone has noticed that the OP LOST 3lbs a couple of days after her OP.

Regardless... weighing your food will help you neither eat less or more than you think you are. And no, eating less than you think is not great either.

That said, you should consider using a trending weight app to help you smooth out fluctuations and evaluate your progress in 6 to 8 week chunks that include at least one monthly cycle (and by preference 2). This should help you develop a feel for when you can expect to see meaningful results.
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    The water weight gains from working out, is that only from weight lifting, or from cardio also?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I'm wondering if it would be better if I got a scale and weighed myself every morning? thoughts?

theres your answer

and weigh all your food, too....

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,564 Member
    Options
    The water weight gains from working out, is that only from weight lifting, or from cardio also?

Any time you change up your exercise routine to something your muscles aren't used to. In addition you'll have an increase in water weight after you have a meal high in carbs/sodium, from your hormones, from lack of sleep/increased stress, and so on.