Side Effects (Rant)

Options
First off, let me say that I am glad I finally got my act together and lost the weight. I am now very comfortably at the mid-point of my healthy BMI range, and overall I feel better than I did before I went through this process.

BUT

I am so so so very frustrated with the side effects that just seem to be getting worse even though I have shifted into maintenance and am eating a healthy number of calories every day. My hair has thinned dramatically, and I can now see a big slice of my scalp at the part. This is very alarming, and nothing I seem to do (vitamins, massages, special shampoos) is helping. My nails are super thin and brittle, when they have always been nice and strong. I have to keep them trimmed very short now or they will crack. And on top of it all, I am cold ALL THE TIME. In a hotel room last week where I could finally have control of the thermostat, I had to turn it up to 78 degrees to even feel comfortable. I realize that I've shed a nice insulating layer, but how long do I have to wait for my body to adjust? This is ridiculous and there's no way I'm going to survive the winter without losing my mind if I don't figure out how to cope.

I'm supposed to be healthier at this weight than at my heavier weight, but it seems like my body is just freaking out and I want it to stop. Anyway, just needed to let that out. End of rant.

Replies

• cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's time to ask a doctor about it...
    There may well be something going on that we're totally not equipped to advise on!

Also, if you were in a massive deficit for a significant period of time, then this can have those kinds of effects on hair and nails. It takes a while to show up, so could have appeared once you've reached goal weight. For sure get your nutrient profiles checked to see you're not deficient in anything important!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You didn't as k, but no, I haven't had any of those symptoms, something is off! Ill or malnourished - see a doctor <3
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Just curious how fast did you get the weight lost per week?

More at start and less at end purposely by eating more - or ate a same low amount supposedly big deficit, but it became less at end?

Body finds a way to adapt to what it sees as extreme.
    Vitamin/mineral deficiency certainly could be one reason - but same delayed effects of too caloric deficient can hit your body too eventually.

Sometimes difficult to hit recovery on any of those deficiencies.

Also, it could easily be you are eating at suppressed maintenance and therefore not gaining/losing weight - but body is still stressed out in that state.
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    @heybales What is suppressed maintenance? I've heard that term before, along with suppressed TDEE, but I don't understand what either of those are.
  • pookiefatcat
    pookiefatcat Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Same here. Hair falling out, cold all the time. Have an appointment with my Dr. for Wednesday.
    I lost 75lbs in 11 months, and am just working on finding my maintenance point.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    Yes, I get cold more easily now that I'm thinner. I wear a lot of sweaters.

But: I also warm up faster when I exercise. My wife likes to walk a lot slower than me. On cold days, I jog in place next to her to keep warm. It works!
  • squatsnotsquat
    squatsnotsquat Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    To everything people already said here I'd add that you may not be getting enough healthy fats or protein in your diet. It's possible to lose weight or think you're eating healthy on a diet that's actually very nutritionally deficient--make sure you're eating high amounts of real vegetables & whole foods rather than just fluffy nutrition-less starch and sugar with a health food label. Make sure you're not relying just on supplements to get the nutrition you need since they sometimes can't be absorbed very well anyway. Eat lots of fish, nuts, & collagen, that may help especially with your hair and nails. The fact that you're cold all the time could mean you're iron deficient, so get your red meat and your dark leafy greens in there. But a doctor and blood work can tell you what's causing any of this better than we can.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    Those are symptoms of malnourishment. Or, maybe a thyroid issue.

these are also side effects of birth control....

I had the same thing a couple of summers ago...I am not malnourished...it was my BC.
  • DISCIPLINEEQUALSFREEDOM
    Options
    I too get cold easier, I just drop and do 50 pushups until I'm warm.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I was constantly cold and started adding hot sauce and spices to foods. I also avoided foods like yogurt and other foods that seemed to make me colder. Has been night and day difference since I implemented the changes 2 years ago. I’m never cold now.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    you need to eat CANADIAN bacon more... then you got it!
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I am colder too since I lost weight!!!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Did you lose your weight very quickly? sounds like your body is lacking nutrients.