Starting Keto!

Options

Replies

• ZiggySquish
    ZiggySquish Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I just started Keto too, today will be my third day. I feel like I finally found a diet plan that feels perfect for me! I naturally crave high fat foods and salt, I never worry about my sodium intake because I balance it pretty good with potassium and I have really really low blood pressure anyway. I have heard amazing things about being in ketosis, my only question is.... how long can you stay in Ketosis? Is it something you should just try to stay in, or should you plan on having carb days for some other reason than to just eat something you are craving...?

What are your plans for meals? I read that intermittent fasting is a great addition to this diet, and because of my work it is also something that is more convenient for me, I've tried it before and it made me feel a lot better also.
    I'm glad to see so many people starting around the same time as me, I'll have to follow this thread and see what happens :)
  • dbkyser
    dbkyser Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Keto for 2 months and love this WOE, add me if you want.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Try the Low Carber Daily MFP group. Many newbies and veterans in there.

I have been keto for over two years. It works well for me. I have tried upping carbs but I feel less healthy and tend to eat more when I do. Not worth it.

Consider bringing your own creams and sweeteners to Starbucks. I sometimes bring my own whipping or coconut cream, and I always bring my own stevia.

Good luck. :)
  • newmommyk
    newmommyk Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Keto since August, but just joined MFP to work on my macros. I started out just trying hard to limit carbs, but now I am looking into putting a little more thought into applying the principles. Especially eating more fat. My biggest challenge is social drinking... I love LOVE margaritas.

Ahhh Maragritas!! I know they have skinny margarita mixes, so that can help! But when out a restaurant, I know it can be harder.
  • newmommyk
    Options
    I just started Keto too, today will be my third day. I feel like I finally found a diet plan that feels perfect for me! I naturally crave high fat foods and salt, I never worry about my sodium intake because I balance it pretty good with potassium and I have really really low blood pressure anyway. I have heard amazing things about being in ketosis, my only question is.... how long can you stay in Ketosis? Is it something you should just try to stay in, or should you plan on having carb days for some other reason than to just eat something you are craving...?

What are your plans for meals? I read that intermittent fasting is a great addition to this diet, and because of my work it is also something that is more convenient for me, I've tried it before and it made me feel a lot better also.
    I'm glad to see so many people starting around the same time as me, I'll have to follow this thread and see what happens :)

Yay!!! Its nice to see so many of us here! We can all help each other out learning this way of eating! From what I have read, you can stay in Ketosis indefinitely. As for meal, I have hounded Pinterest. I have seen a lot of people mention Intermittent Fasting as well, with this way of eating. I haven't done enough research into that one yet, but I will once I am more comfortable in my daily meals and how/what I'm eating.

What foods do you eat with higher potassium? I just happened to notice my potassium intake is pretty low, since I've been logging.
  • newmommyk
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Try the Low Carber Daily MFP group. Many newbies and veterans in there.

I have been keto for over two years. It works well for me. I have tried upping carbs but I feel less healthy and tend to eat more when I do. Not worth it.

Consider bringing your own creams and sweeteners to Starbucks. I sometimes bring my own whipping or coconut cream, and I always bring my own stevia.

Good luck. :)

I went with tea this morning with a splash of heavy cream-winner! :) And they were out of stevia, again, so yes, I think I should buy my own stash. Thanks for the info!
  • heather4life4
    heather4life4 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am looking to gather information about keto. Where do you guys learn about these things, such as health benefits, cooking and meals. Is this family friendly? i am in love with sugar and carbs :# So i am very nervous about these changes . I would appreciate any help to help me decide if this is the right journey for me.
  • brendabryden
    brendabryden Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have been researching the Ketos diet and thinking about giving it a try, but don't know where to begin as far as what to eat. I normally eat a lot of fruit during the day and I understand I should stop that. So now I am trying to figure out what to replace it with. My normal routine is to start with a fruit smoothie every morning, mid morning fruit snack, big lettuce/tuna salad for lunch and apple and cheese stick for afternoon snack. Then meat, fruit and veggies for my evening meal.

I do not have a lot of time to cook special meals and have gotten very confused reading all the info.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
  • Linda503
    Linda503 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Week 3 on Keto. Love it. I also do intermittent fasting 8 pm till noon. Go to the Diet Doctor website...tons of info and recipes. Keto was Dr recommended for me and she recommended this site as the best. Other sites have great recipes too. And use myfitnesspal.com to track your progress.
  • rutlanda
    rutlanda Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Today is day one for me. I'm a newbie and a little overwhelmed. But gonna stick with it.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I have been researching the Ketos diet and thinking about giving it a try, but don't know where to begin as far as what to eat. I normally eat a lot of fruit during the day and I understand I should stop that. So now I am trying to figure out what to replace it with. My normal routine is to start with a fruit smoothie every morning, mid morning fruit snack, big lettuce/tuna salad for lunch and apple and cheese stick for afternoon snack. Then meat, fruit and veggies for my evening meal.

I do not have a lot of time to cook special meals and have gotten very confused reading all the info.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

You might want to start with low carb (less than 100-150 g of carbs a day). Start with cutting sugars and added sugars, and refined carbs like baked goods and noodles. Grains are all carb heavy so limit oats, corn and rice too. See how that goes. If you want to go lower carb, limit starchy root vegetables and then start with sugary fruit like dried fruit or tropical fruit (raisins, bananas, mangos, grapes).

It is true that ketogenic diets do not include much fruit, perhaps some berries, a small orange or half an apple, but fruits are not bad for you unless you have health issues where limiting sugars and carbs is beneficial (like insulin resistance or other health issues).
  • Tami33
    Tami33 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been Keto since September 23rd!! Lost 25 pounds so far (most of that within the first month)!!! It's amazing!!!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    newmommyk wrote: »
    Hey! Sooo I’m starting keto. Day 1, today. I’ve literally stalked Pinterest for ideas and it’s definitely something I want to adhere to. My goal is to stick to it until Christmas and re-evaluate at that time. Is it for me? Is it sustainable? Anyone else doing keto? Anyone starting? Jut wanted to start the conversation and meet fellow keto-people!

@newmommyk best of success. It has been awesome for my general health since Oct 2014 in my case when I was 63 and very sick. Consider giving it at least 90 days because my first 3-12 months was kind of strange but I was old and very poor health.

Three years later I no longer treat it like a religion but eat Keto 99% of the time but do not sweat if I do go over 50 grams of carbs a day time to time. I find the blood keto levels are not really something to be concerned about for health improvements. I did it for pain management that kicked in after the first 30 days of getting off of sugar and all grains and still manages my pain well. While I did not do it to lose weight I am down 40 pounds over the past three years. The big surprise was my sweets cravings started to fade after a few weeks and were mostly gone by day 90 so eating until I hurt several times a week ended. For some reason on LCHF I get filled up and would gag to take another bite but not so with sweets when I was still eating them.

Yes the first two weeks of no sugar and no grains in any form was hellish in my case. Again my objective was pain manage for my long term Ankylosing Spondylitis but the other positive side effects continue to stack up in my favor. It took me 40 years to get so messed up health wise so I know keto is going to take a while in my case to do what it can to help stop and/or reverse past damage.

Keto is not magic but if your body reacts poorly to a high carb life style as mine did then it can be worth a shot. If one is on Rx meds for any reason I strongly suggest involving one's healthcare professionals. One simple example would be a type 2 diabetic. Slashing carbs may naturally lead to better blood sugar control so diabetic meds WILL need to be monitored to keep from driving glucose levels dangerously low as one example.

Keep in mind for some of us any reduction in carbs can be helpful. The fact I started thinking about longevity helped me look at the big health picture which involves how I think, eat and move and in that order.

PS. It was day 45 before I lost the first pound on the scales but had already lost some of my fat face and one inch at the waist. I do not concern myself with calories but try to keep my daily carbs at around 50 most days but never really lower because I eat a lot of whole foods like nuts, etc that contain carbs. In hindsight cutting out sugar and all forms of all grains cut out most of the processed foods that I was living on which may be key to my continued lab and other health markers improvements.

Also remember there is more than one way to do KETO. The best way is a way that works for YOU, not me or someone else. :)
  • Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I am looking to gather information about keto. Where do you guys learn about these things, such as health benefits, cooking and meals. Is this family friendly? i am in love with sugar and carbs :# So i am very nervous about these changes . I would appreciate any help to help me decide if this is the right journey for me.

I'm all about honesty - the first week is a huge booger. You are ridding yourself of the cravings and the withdrawal is real but after that the energy you gain is amazing. My skin looks so much better!

Before starting I just researched the hell out of KETO. My biggest piece of advice - start basic or it will seem so overwhelming. If you want you can add me. I fell out of Ketosis over the holiday but I log my meals daily.

I could be family friendly. My son is 17 and he eats whatever I fix but he's still a bottomless pit so he snacks on other items. I don't give him the high fat items I eat (cream cheese, butter, heavy cream) but the salads and protein - he eats all my entrees/sides I make for dinner. To me, it's all about balance with him.
  • Lizakabibbis
    Options
    rutlanda wrote: »
    Today is day one for me. I'm a newbie and a little overwhelmed. But gonna stick with it.

Don't for overwhelmed! Start basic because KETO and everything that can go along with it might seem overwhelming at first. Feel free to add me if you'd like!
  • FireflyKae
    FireflyKae Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm very curious in trying it! Any one have some good tips for someone who is just starting out and has never done it?! Or good websites that might help? I'll have to make some adjustments since I can't eat nuts or avocado so my fats might take a bit of work...
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    FireflyKae wrote: »
    I'm very curious in trying it! Any one have some good tips for someone who is just starting out and has never done it?! Or good websites that might help? I'll have to make some adjustments since I can't eat nuts or avocado so my fats might take a bit of work...

Having a concrete reason to try keto I think was key in my case. Three years in it is still managing my pain well and so much more. Now at age 66 I do not see myself eating any other way but I no longer worship it like a religion. I just do it because it is the best WOE I have found in my 66 years to manage my junk food cravings and resolve so many health issues.
  • horror_mama
    horror_mama Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have been doing keto since October 30th and initially lost 17 lbs. I have stalled a bit and gone up, although my clothing fits better. I'm not giving up. I feel so much better with this lifestyle and although I do struggle with my protein and fat numbers, I'm able to stay very close or at 20g of carbs a day. I am presently doing 18:6 fasting and it's been rough. Day 2 of 18:6 and I may go back to eating at my regular time because I'm presently feeling pretty crummy on the 6 hour eating schedule.
  • DarnFam4
    DarnFam4 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Ok Peeps... This Keto thing has sparked my interest. Just had my yearly physical, and besides knowing I'm overweight, I need to cut back on the carbs. I'm a carb guy. I love my meat and potatoes. So I want to learn. Any good places to check this Keto thing out?
  • Lizakabibbis
    Options
    DarnFam4 wrote: »
    Ok Peeps... This Keto thing has sparked my interest. Just had my yearly physical, and besides knowing I'm overweight, I need to cut back on the carbs. I'm a carb guy. I love my meat and potatoes. So I want to learn. Any good places to check this Keto thing out?

I started by looking up basic keto menus - then when I was like hey, I can do this - I researched the diet itself. After that I did a major pantry overhaul and joined a couple FB groups and dove right in!