How Hard Is This?

Options
I read through all these posts about not being able to get all cals in for the day and that is definitely not me. I feel like I'm the only person bulking who has to consciously restrict calories to keep a small enough surplus to not do a dirty bulk. I'm eating about 2300 cals on week days (weekends tend to be a little higher) and my tdee is about 2200. I'm 5'5", around 132, and looking to do a long, slow bulk of about .3 to .5 lbs per week. This isn't my first bulk and my training and rest are fine, but my appetite is out of control. I try to pre plan my meals, but I'm usually left with only 300-400 cals for dinner and I'm still hungry. I've fiddled with my macros to exhaustion. What gives?!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I read through all these posts about not being able to get all cals in for the day and that is definitely not me. I feel like I'm the only person bulking who has to consciously restrict calories to keep a small enough surplus to not do a dirty bulk. I'm eating about 2300 cals on week days (weekends tend to be a little higher) and my tdee is about 2200. I'm 5'5", around 132, and looking to do a long, slow bulk of about .3 to .5 lbs per week. This isn't my first bulk and my training and rest are fine, but my appetite is out of control. I try to pre plan my meals, but I'm usually left with only 300-400 cals for dinner and I'm still hungry. I've fiddled with my macros to exhaustion. What gives?!

How much protein and fiber are you eating? How many meals are you eating?

How much junk are you eating?
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Same. When I did a bulk I was 128 lbs, maintained on 1800, and it was a struggle for me to stay at 2100. Sucks :(
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Same. When I did a bulk I was 128 lbs, maintained on 1800, and it was a struggle for me to stay at 2100. Sucks :(

At least we're not alone!
  • Greater_Gains
    Greater_Gains Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    im on 3010 a day and thats not including exercise calories added on average i have to eat around 3600 a day more or less
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    I'm the same.

Purposeful controlled over feeding is far harder than dieting for me.
  • Davidsdottir
    Options
    filbo132 wrote: »
    Dayum that's low of a bulk for a man. I don't even do cardio and my bulk caloric number is 2900 calories. It goes to show how each body is different.

I'm a chick, hence dottir (Icelandic for daughter)
  • Davidsdottir
    edited November 2017
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Great questions! I tend to eat around 140g protein and 30g fiber a day.

A typical day looks something like this...5:00 am lift; 6:30 protein shake (250 cal); 8:00 4 oz chicken, 1/2 cup rice, 2 cup veggies; 10:00 Greek yogurt with nuts; 12:30 6 oz turkey, 1/2 sweet potato, salad; 3:00 tuna with mayo and carrots; 6:00 steak, 2 cups veggies, pasta; 8:00 toast with pb and milk if I have the cals left.

I drink about a gallon of water throughout the day. I'm still always hungry.
  • Davidsdottir
    Options
    Dayum that's low of a bulk for a man. I don't even do cardio and my bulk caloric number is 2900 calories. It goes to show how each body is different.

I'm a chick, hence dottir (Icelandic for daughter)

Oh lol, ok it makes more sense then. Sorry about that, I wasn't sure if you had mentioned it.

I didn't, totally my mistake
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options

A typical day looks something like this...5:00 am lift; 6:30 protein shake (250 cal); 8:00 4 oz chicken, 1/2 cup rice, 2 cup veggies; 10:00 Greek yogurt with nuts; 12:30 6 oz turkey, 1/2 sweet potato, salad; 3:00 tuna with mayo and carrots; 6:00 steak, 2 cups veggies, pasta; 8:00 toast with pb and milk if I have the cals left.

Why do you eat so many meals? 7 meals?

You appetite might be more satiated if you combined some of your meals into larger ones.

You also have a long day if you train at 5AM. You must get up sometime before that.

When do you go to bed? To get 8 hours of sleep you'd almost have to go to bed around 8 to 8:30 PM.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I do better if I don't start eating so early in the day. Once I eat something, it's like it starts my engine and I'm hungry the rest of the day. I push breakfast back until 9:30 or so, even with a morning workout, and I do much better.

This is me. I can push the eating to around 10:30 after my workout. I can either eat large or eat smaller meals but either way this helps me avoid the hangries. :smile:
  • Davidsdottir
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »

You appetite might be more satiated if you combined some of your meals into larger ones.

You also have a long day if you train at 5AM. You must get up sometime before that.

When do you go to bed? To get 8 hours of sleep you'd almost have to go to bed around 8 to 8:30 PM.

I've tried larger meals (around 700 cals) and that hasn't helped at all. Like, if I combined the breakfast and snack, I'd still want, and have, an additional snack before lunch.

I go to bed around 9, sleep until 4:30.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options

I've tried larger meals (around 700 cals) and that hasn't helped at all. Like, if I combined the breakfast and snack, I'd still want, and have, an additional snack before lunch.

Are you sure you calculated your allowable calories correctly?

Added back exercise calories?

Are you eating enough?

I can tell if I'm short on my calories. My body feels like it's eating itself.

• Davidsdottir
    Options

Are you eating enough?

I maintained for a few months on 2200. I'd bumped up to 2350 and gained 8 lbs the first month (due in part to creatine, but not sure exactly how much). I want to keep the surplus small enough to get the best muscle:fat ratio, but big enough to maximize my results. I'm in this for the long haul, not expecting miracles...i just want to feel satiated!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options

Are you eating enough?

I maintained for a few months on 2200. I'd bumped up to 2350 and gained 8 lbs the first month (due in part to creatine, but not sure exactly how much). I want to keep the surplus small enough to get the best muscle:fat ratio, but big enough to maximize my results. I'm in this for the long haul, not expecting miracles...i just want to feel satiated!

Creatine can easily add 5 ish lbs. So its not unlikely that was a huge cause. Ideally, one would only change one variable to understand the impacts of that impact.

I was getting at the tons of meals vs smaller meals. So you are saying that if you ate three learge meals with 30 to 50g of protein a d 10 to 20g of fiber it didnt satiate your more? Have you try adjusting fats vs carbs?
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Have you tried using different/carbs with more volume?
    Rice, pasta, and bread can seem like small servings for the macros to me, and usually leave me hungry even after eating 100+ carbs in a sitting. Definitely wouldn't be my top picks if I were feeling hungry.
  • Davidsdottir
    Options

Are you eating enough?

Creatine can easily add 5 ish lbs. So its not unlikely that was a huge cause. Ideally, one would only change one variable to understand the impacts of that impact.

I was getting at the tons of meals vs smaller meals. So you are saying that if you ate three learge meals with 30 to 50g of protein a d 10 to 20g of fiber it didnt satiate your more? Have you try adjusting fats vs carbs?

I've tried bigger meals and have still been so hungry that I end up far exceeding my calorie goal.

@not_a_runner What carb sources would you suggest? (Your legs = #goals)
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options

Are you eating enough?

I've tried bigger meals and have still been so hungry that I end up far exceeding my calorie goal.

@not_a_runner What carb sources would you suggest? (Your legs = #goals)

I like potatoes, beans, and fruit. Higher carb veggies, if that makes sense.. like corn, peas, squash - still pretty low in carbs compared to rice, but more calorie dense than greens like broccoli or spinach.

You'll have to find what works for you of course, but I find that rice and pasta just never satisfy me. I was maintaining around 2800 cals/400 carbs while eating rice/pasta daily for a few months, and those were the meals that left me feeling the most hungry. This would be great for someone struggling to eat all their food, but not for those of us who are still hungry!
    You could save those as carbs for pre or post workout if you really enjoy eating them, but incorporate something different into the rest of your meals.