Protein rich vegan food except for tofu

Options
2»

Replies

• littlebabekitty
    littlebabekitty Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Sorry i missed the part about gluten free. I used to think I was gluten intolerant but it was actually a fungus on my skin and lack of probiotics. Now I am no longer having the symptoms after treatment.

During my vegan gluten free time my main proteins came from:

Garbanzos/Hummus
    Other legumes like lentils, black and red beans, mung beans
    Hemp seeds
    Mushrooms (Portobello and button)
    Vega protein fruit smoothies
    Walnuts and brazil nuts

These were my "proteins" and were paired with veggies and gluten free wraps, brown rice, or steamed squash or yams for a complete meal.

I would cook the mushrooms with the walnuts and brazil nuts sauteed in a savory sauces like gluten free bbq aminos veggie flavoring or marinara sauce, onions and peppers to make my " faux meat"

The garbanzos. I would leave some cooked plain to use for garbanzo salads with red onions pepper oregano and lime juice. Or cook it with indian spices and make curry or chana masala. You can cook it as you please. For other beans you cook as usual. You can make also cold beans salads with black beans.

I made falafels also . you can use gluten free flour for binding.
    And i also make my own bean and mushroom veggie burgers. No flour needed. You can bake or fry them.
    I would mostly bake for less fat then pair them with a nice homemade sauce.
    Hummus is great as a condiment or sanwhich/wrap added protein along with the beans or mushroom and avocado. Yumm
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,267 Member
    Options
    Don't go overboard with brazil nuts on a regular basis. Selenium toxicity is a risk. The US recommended daily upper limit for selenium is 400 mcg for adults. There can be that much in a half-dozen nuts. Enjoy in a dish occasionally? Sure. Daily staple? Maybe not the best idea.

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Selenium-HealthProfessional/