Cardio and MFP combined help speed up loss??

skeleton666
skeleton666 Posts: 10 Member
edited November 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
So by doing MFP I'm slowly but surely losing weight. I've started the gym today Hoping to speed up the process. I did about 500 calories on the treadmill, so only doing cardio. Reading all the threads about going gym I'm feeling slightly disheartened that it might not really help weight loss, but will get me fitter! Is this true?? By combining the two surely it's speed up the loss no??

I've also started the gym to be able to at least maintain my weight loss......

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    Exercise adds to the Calories Out portion of the equation. It can help, if it helps create a larger calorie deficit.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    MFP is designed so that your calorie goal will put you at a deficit (assuming your goal is to lose weight) *before* any additional exercise.

So if you add exercise on top, your deficit will become larger. This will result in more weight loss. But keep in mind that "more" isn't always better. Weight loss that is too rapid can lead to health problems, cravings, hunger, and a lack of energy.

The threads you are seeing are probably pointing out that exercise, in and of itself, isn't going to create weight loss. It will only create weight loss if it creates a deficit (or makes your deficit larger).

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Exercise adds to the Calories Out portion of the equation. It can help, if it helps create a larger calorie deficit.

This.

You almost make it sound like getting fitter is a negative thing. What are your goals? Just weightloss or do you want to be more in shape.
  • skeleton666
    Initially weightloss and then get in shape too. Tbh I'm in the position now that I could combine both as don't need to lose more than a stone max.
  • brendanwhite84
    brendanwhite84 Posts: 219 Member
    'Cardio not helping with weight loss' is some kind of weird reverse bro science for sure.

At my weight running 5K burns about 350 calories. One of my cycling classes burns about 1100. I can vouch for these values, having tracked everything I've eaten and done intensive cardio for the last two years.

I guess some people might imply that cardio 'doesn't help with weight loss' because some people get hungry after and eat back their calories, but that's such an obvious logical fallacy I scarcely know what to say in response.

The reason why you will sometimes see variations of this being said is because we have dozens of threads here where people are asking why they aren't losing weight despite beginning exercise (or sometimes even asking why they are gaining weight). Further questions reveal that they aren't logging what they eat and they aren't in a deficit.

Cardio can help create a deficit, but cardio -- in and of itself -- isn't going to create weight loss. That's the distinction (I think) that people are trying to make clear.

I see where you're coming from and agree with you in principle, but it's something of a matter of semantics. If you take someone's lifestyle and dietary habits and introduce a reasonable level of cardio while all other factors remain the same, then yes, they're in a deficit and they're going to lose weight. That's enough for me to say yes, cardio in and of itself does create weight loss.

As I see it, arguing that someone could eat back an equal or greater amount of energy as a result of cardio-induced hunger is introducing a confounding variable. Chicken-and-egg, I suppose.

Anyway, like I said I agree and I appreciate your input.

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Reading all the threads about going gym I'm feeling slightly disheartened that it might not really help weight loss, but will get me fitter! Is this true??

I can see why you'd be disheartened. More fit? Of all the horrible tragedies that could befall a person, none are worse than fitness.

I'm pulling your leg, fitness is a good thing, it makes life easier and more pleasant.

What exercise does (in terms of weight loss) is allow you to eat more while maintaining your deficit. Have you heard the story about the tortoise and the hare?
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,169 Member
    I ate according to what MFP recommended. I started running. I enjoyed the cardio. I lost 30 pounds in five months.
  • guacamolito
    guacamolito Posts: 26 Member
    How many calories have you all burned off while typing these long debates? :wink:
  • skeleton666
    Appreciate all your replies but I don't know how to reply to each comment individually!!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Appreciate all your replies but I don't know how to reply to each comment individually!!

You can hit the "quote" link on the post you want to reply and it will preload the post as a quote in the reply box at the bottom of the page, then type your reply below.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    So by doing MFP I'm slowly but surely losing weight. I've started the gym today Hoping to speed up the process. I did about 500 calories on the treadmill, so only doing cardio. Reading all the threads about going gym I'm feeling slightly disheartened that it might not really help weight loss, but will get me fitter! Is this true?? By combining the two surely it's speed up the loss no??

I've also started the gym to be able to at least maintain my weight loss......

If you are not accurately tracking your food, it is fairly easy to subconsciously eat more extra calories than you exercised off. Also most people don't burn anywhere near as many calories as they think they do. I mean, I know women who take a 15 minute walk and then get a latte at Starbucks to "reward" themselves, and can't understand why they aren't losing weight. That's why it's often said here that exercise is for fitness, because people are pretty bad at knowing how many calories they are burning and eating accordingly.

If you are accurately logging and don't overcompensate for your exercise, cardio can help. I was barely lightly active and didn't have much weight to lose, and increasing my activity/exercise schedule increased my TDEE enough that I could eat at a reasonable level and still lose a little weight.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    Do not try to lose "faster". Faster is not better. Too fast contributes to muscle loss and nutritional deficiency. You need to keep the deficit MFP gives you based on appropriate goals, which should be based on your total lbs. You should eat back some of your exercise calories. This is all per MFP guidelines. I'm totally in favor of excerise, but not as a way to lose weight too fast.
  • skeleton666
    kimny72 wrote: »

You can hit the "quote" link on the post you want to reply and it will preload the post as a quote in the reply box at the bottom of the page, then type your reply below.

Thankyou! It's worked lol x
  • WhereIsPJSoles
    WhereIsPJSoles Posts: 622 Member
    I know I don’t need to excercise to lose weight, but for me this is all about sustainability and making good habits. I want to make going to the gym a habit because it’s one that will help me maintain my weight and keep me up to date on the latest HGTV and food network shows.