Advice- Sleep issues

2»

Replies

• Aint2Proud2Meg
    Aint2Proud2Meg Posts: 193 Member
    edited November 2017
    God you guys, I don't want to be under-eating. I truly don't want to harm myself. I'll fix it as of today. Honestly though, considering my rate of loss hasnt been anything extreme, I think my fitbit overestimates exercise cals by a fair amount.
    I have talked with my doctor but I don't think she cares as she kind of shrugs it off bc I have kids. My kids don't really affect my sleep at their ages though. She's generally great and she's happy I'm losing weight but I feel like she's not hearing me about the sleep thing.
    I was hoping to fix it by working on my self first, but if it isn't resolved soon I'll make more noise about it. She's my mom's doctor too and she knows us pretty well, and my mom has really bad sleep and anxiety issues and takes medication (though this has come with age and weight gain; which is why I'm trying to resolve it myself first if possible). My mom is also type II diabetic which I'm of course trying to avoid.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Sleep issues can be really tricky to get a handle on. Google "sleep hygiene tips" on the web. There are a standard set of tips from the medical profession. Be sure you're following all of them. If your issues persist , see a doctor to check for anything serious like sleep apnea. It could be any of these or none of them.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    Best of luck and remember even though we all want to be slim and fit like yesterday, it's a marathon not a sprint, you would do better to be eating/exercising in a way you can keep up for life and keeping the weight off long term than burning yourself out and re-gaining the weight.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    I really appreciate everyone who's trying to help and I will take advice. I'll up my protein and be less stingy with exercise cals. I'll plan to eat back at least half. I know my willpower is strong now but I'll lose it if I'm exhausted.
    I am going to be a little difficult and wait til I get under 200 to change my rate of loss goal to 1.5/ wk. I know I am being one of those obnoxious folks that asks for advice and then doesn't take it, but it's like 2 more lbs, people! :smile:

You're trying to lose 2 lbs? If I read that right, your deficit should be no more than 250 calls per day or 0.5 lb per week, maybe less!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I really appreciate everyone who's trying to help and I will take advice. I'll up my protein and be less stingy with exercise cals. I'll plan to eat back at least half. I know my willpower is strong now but I'll lose it if I'm exhausted.
    I am going to be a little difficult and wait til I get under 200 to change my rate of loss goal to 1.5/ wk. I know I am being one of those obnoxious folks that asks for advice and then doesn't take it, but it's like 2 more lbs, people! :smile:

You're trying to lose 2 lbs? If I read that right, your deficit should be no more than 250 calls per day or 0.5 lb per week, maybe less!

No she want's to get to 200lb before she drops the rate down. She has 52 to lose for goal.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »

Nah she's saying she is only 2 lbs loss away from getting under 200 scale.
  • Aint2Proud2Meg
    edited November 2017
    I am eager to get to certain mini goals, that is certain. However I'm mature enough to care more about health than a number on the scale.
    I'm really still early on in this particular weight loss journey and even though I've done this before, I'm still sorting it all out. This is the first time I've been prepared to do this for the long haul and maintain from then on.
    I will up my cals but if anyone's concerned I track my weight daily and Libra says I'm averaging about -1.67 lbs a week overall. So I haven't gone TOO crazy considering I started at 222lbs.
  • Aint2Proud2Meg
    @CoffeeNCardio Not usually but sometimes. I use a fitbit Alta hr and I just worry about it overcalculating my exercise cals. If I'm hungry I'm totally fine with eating some of those back and I'm glad they are there.

As tinker bell said, MFP is designed for you to eat back your exercise calories. Most people seem to stick to only eating back about 50-75%, especially fitbit users, but for your health and safety, you should be eating at least that back. Your deficit is wildly overdone and while it might feel like an accomplishment to be doing so we ll and not feel hungry, you're actually putting yourself in danger not doing that.

You don't have to eat them all back, Andi also have a fitbit, so I understand your concern about overcalculating burns, but even a crappy fitbit doesn't do that to the tune of 1500 calories.

If you don't feel hunger, maybe try for a calorie dense food just to get you into that 50-75% sweet spot. Like a potato or noodle product. Just enough to make sure you are properly fueled without making you feel like you're stuffing yourself.

The important thing is to try the method for a while, gauge how it's working for your loss and your health and feelings of wellness and then adjust accordingly.

All of this is dead on. Thank you. Also if im undereating its not intentional. I'm going to eat a little more and just kind of watch the trends as far as sleep, how I feel, rate of loss, etc.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    I read something recently that resonated with me:

"Problems with sleep are most common during the prementrual phase."

I just so happened to be doing the same thing you are at the time I read it - going to sleep fine and then waking up in a couple of hours and not being able to go back to sleep. It just so happened to be right before my period. I started TOM and the waking up stopped.

I wonder if because you are late, you are having a longer bit of this. It could be hormonal and could settle down once you start.
  • Aint2Proud2Meg
    If you're concerned about your fitbit overcalculating, here's some tricks you can use to get as close to spot on as possible:

1. Lie to it. Wear the fitbit on your non-dominant hand, but tell the app that you're wearing it on the dominant hand. This reduces the number of miscounted steps from non-step movements.
    2. Tell the app that you're 1 inch shorter than you actually are. Taller people burn more calories just existing, and one inch off can help to stifle overblown BMR calories estimated by the app.
    3. Properly measure your stride length and input this information to reduce the number of miscounted steps that might contribute to an overcalculating of your TDEE and exercise.

I did do the thing with wearing it on my non dominant hand and say it's the dominant one. I just did it a couple days ago and can tell when I'm working out that it's not counting non step activity to the degree it was when I had it in there as non-dominant.
  • Aint2Proud2Meg
    sllm1 wrote: »
    I read something recently that resonated with me:

"Problems with sleep are most common during the prementrual phase."

I just so happened to be doing the same thing you are at the time I read it - going to sleep fine and then waking up in a couple of hours and not being able to go back to sleep. It just so happened to be right before my period. I started TOM and the waking up stopped.

I wonder if because you are late, you are having a longer bit of this. It could be hormonal and could settle down once you start.

Quite possible. It's been worse the last couple days. My TOM has changed a lot in a fairly short time. It's changed for the better though. I'm less of a miserable cow than I used to be and it's for a shorter length of time :smiley:
  • Aint2Proud2Meg
    Hey I know I've said it a lot but thanks everyone. Anyone who'd like, feel free to add me! Also wouldn't mind having friends who let me know if I'm doing something stupid :wink:
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    I will up my cals but if anyone's concerned I track my weight daily and Libra says I'm averaging about -1.67 lbs a week overall. So I haven't gone TOO crazy considering I started at 222lbs.

I think this is the key piece of information here. If that has been your average loss rate for a while, then you are not under eating, despite what your logging suggests. It also looks like (doing the math) you've taken ~ 3 months to get from 222 to 202. Is that about right?

Read the thread on diet breaks and refeeds. When you get to 200, take a break for 2 weeks and eat at maintenance (this is the short version of the advice and I don't mean to summarize that thread this much) and see if it impacts your sleep. Just a thought.