Weights - newbie

Options
Hello Guys. I would really like to start using free weights (what is currently available to me right now) just in-home. But I’m not sure what I’m doing. My main question is what type of warm-up should I do and do I need to keep my heart rate up. Like you don’t just start lifting, correct? You have to get the blood flowing first?

This may seem like a really dumb question but any and all (POLITE) advice is welcome.

Basically I’ve never been super tiny (except right before my wedding on the Atkins diet - NEVER AGAIN), but I’ve crept up to 203 lbs at 5’ 2”, I’m about a size 18 and I’m over it. This is the biggest I’ve ever been and I’m ready to change it. I’ve been counting calories but I know I need to add exercise and I can see that weights are hugely beneficial. Help me, please and thank you.

Replies

• MissDeeDee78
    MissDeeDee78 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Me too! I've been doing a Forever Fit class once a week which combines low impact cardio and free weights. Wish they had more classes though.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,138 Member
    Options
    HASFIT have some great at home workout plans with Dumbells/Barbells which include warmup/cooldown videos, totally free too.
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Check out Youtube, they have plenty of workout videos. There are a lot, so look for the shortest first to give you an idea of what to do. This is how I started with weights working out at home. Good luck.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You will get varied answers on how to warm up but this is what I do:

- 5-10 minutes of just moving more. Sometimes I walk on the treadmill, sometimes I use our Airdyne. Sometimes I even just unload the dishwasher, one dish/utensil at a time so that I have to bend over and stand up several times. Sometimes I do this.
    - stretch for a few minutes. Stretching seems to be a divisive topic at times but I like it so I do it. It takes maybe five minutes and aside from feeling better, it helps my tendinitis.
    - warm up sets. For the first few lifts, I do a few warm up sets, which allow me to work up to the working set weight that I'm going to use that day.
  • Mindarin
    Mindarin Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    The 5-10 minutes of light cardio to warm up is SO essential for your muscles to get into "Ok, I'm working mode".
    As far as exercises, I would suggest the following five as essential. Weighted squats (with whichever dumbell you want to use. You hold it in the middle of your body as you go down into proper squat form), overhead press, bench press, modified dead lift (look up videos of how to do this with dumbells), and then weighted sit-ups. I think that kind of routine would give you a pretty decent full body effect. I'd suggest 5 sets of 5 reps of each exercise and you should be pretty tired by the last set.

Re: stretching. Current advice is to stretch AFTER, very gently, and holding each position for at least a minute. Ease into it.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    What sort of weights specifically are available to you.

This matters in making recommendations.

As a female beginner, you should be using weights between 15 and 100 lbs to start depending on the exercise.
  • squeaker87
    squeaker87 Posts: 82 Member
    Options

As a female beginner, you should be using weights between 15 and 100 lbs to start depending on the exercise.

Currently all I have is a set of 5lb hand weights, a set of 10 lb hand weights, a 10 lb kettlebell and some 30 lb dumbbells that are my husband’s.
  • squeaker87
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies! I appreciate it very much!
  • alondrakayy
    alondrakayy Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I stretch for 10 minutes and that is usually my warm up. When lifting, I start with a couple medium heavy weights then work my way up to PR's.
  • squeaker87
    Options
    I suppose all of the “hand weights” classify as dumbbells. I’m not hip to the lingo! But Youtube is genius, I don’t know why I didn’t think of that!

PS I have no idea what PR’s are! :#
  • stanmann571
    Options
    squeaker87 wrote: »

Currently all I have is a set of 5lb hand weights, a set of 10 lb hand weights, a 10 lb kettlebell and some 30 lb dumbbells that are my husband’s.

Given those limitations You're better off finding a body weight program that will allow you to progress.

If you're doing anything meaningful, the 10s will quickly become too light(and probably already are) and the 30s are probably too much.
  • squeaker87
    Options

Given those limitations You're better off finding a body weight program that will allow you to progress.

If you're doing anything meaningful, the 10s will quickly become too light(and probably already are) and the 30s are probably too much.

Well I was thinking I can start with 10s and I can purchase the next step up. But I’m not opposed to body weight either. I’m just sick of being fat, yet I have no idea what I’m doing. I’ve only ever fad-dieted my way down the scale and obviously that’s not working.

Maybe I’ll be getting weights for Christmas!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,138 Member
    Options

Well I was thinking I can start with 10s and I can purchase the next step up. But I’m not opposed to body weight either. I’m just sick of being fat, yet I have no idea what I’m doing. I’ve only ever fad-dieted my way down the scale and obviously that’s not working.

Food is the most important thing to focus on to lose weight, the strength training is more for maintaining your muscle whilst you lose weight than actually losing the weight.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I do some active stretching and activation (banded and bodyweight). Then if I am going fairly heavy, I start my warm up sets. I don't do any cardio before my sessions as I find it can affect my lifting.. so I don't risk it now.
  • stanmann571
    Options

You've got a few options in front of you.

KB/Dumbell. At the beginning is a good place to experiment(while you're learning good form.

In the long term, Kettlebells are less expensive and more versatile than dumbells.

I'd suggest Pavel's program along with Sara Lurie's DVD from amazon for some basics. If you decide you like the simplicity, press in that direction. There are a LOT of really bad programs out there. Anything that has you starting with 3-5 lb hand weights is a good indicator that it's not actually a strength/weight program.
  • michaelafoor916
    michaelafoor916 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I suppose all of the “hand weights” classify as dumbbells. I’m not hip to the lingo! But Youtube is genius, I don’t know why I didn’t think of that!

PR is personal record... so the highest weight for that lift. since no one has answered that yet lol

like what everyone else has said, start with body weight to learn proper form. record yourself doing them (or in front of a full length mirror) because what you may feel like your body is doing is not always what your body is actually doing. then you can move on to using the weights but you will probably find that a 10lb dumbbell will not last you very long before you'll need to go heavier. I will say too that you have to remember once you begin to do strength training, you will gain muscle so you might not see the scale moving as fast so progress pictures are HUGE, and in my opinion a must, so you are able to see the changes happening :)

best of wishes to you, girl. Starting lifting was the best decision I've ever made. Feel free to add me if you ever have any questions or need advice. i'm always happy to share what I've learned :)
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options

PR is personal record... so the highest weight for that lift. since no one has answered that yet lol

like what everyone else has said, start with body weight to learn proper form. record yourself doing them (or in front of a full length mirror) because what you may feel like your body is doing is not always what your body is actually doing. then you can move on to using the weights but you will probably find that a 10lb dumbbell will not last you very long before you'll need to go heavier. I will say too that you have to remember once you begin to do strength training, you will gain muscle so you might not see the scale moving as fast so progress pictures are HUGE, and in my opinion a must, so you are able to see the changes happening :)

best of wishes to you, girl. Starting lifting was the best decision I've ever made. Feel free to add me if you ever have any questions or need advice. i'm always happy to share what I've learned :)

You are highly unlikely to actually put on muscle weight as a woman eating at a deficit, BUT you very well may find that you retain water after a strength session, which can mask fat loss. I've been doing the nerdfitness beginner body weight circuit for about three weeks now and I have definitely noticed some water retention after a good tough session. Have fun with strength training! I've been enjoying it more than I expected.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I work out with light (up to 15lbs) dumbbells and bodyweight exercises. I don't belong to a gym and, because I haven't got a spotter, I didn't want to train with barbells. (Plus, the 'bar' alone with no weight plates weighs 40lbs and I was out of shape enough that I don't think I could have lifted one properly when I got started.) I began with resistance tubes and bands. Then I started checking out books on strength training from the library and browsing the exercise and fitness sections of bookstores.

I ended up buying Joan Pagano's book: Strength Training Exercises for Women.

In addition to multiple exercises for each muscle/muscle group, she also includes warmup exercises, cool-down stretches, and sample strength training routines and weights-and-cardio-interval workouts.

She also includes suggestions for people with health issues/limitations. (Example: some abs exercises are dangerous for people prone to lower back pain, so she'll recommend either ways to modify an exercise or a different way to work those muscles that's likely to be safer.)

I'd say that the book's main weakness is that the author doesn't include weights/sets/reps for more than 24lbs (i.e. a pair of 12lb dumbbells). I've bought a pair of 15s now that I'm ready for them, and I'm working them in, but at some point I think I'll need to book a session or two with a personal trainer to get a better idea of how to progress. For a beginner, though, I highly recommend it.