18 & Obese

Options
So I've just turned 18, and have come to the realization that living my life obese just isn't good enough. I've tried dieting / gym before but found myself eating something bad during the day then having that whole day turn bad which ends up with me dropping my diet
I was wondering if anyone had any long term tips for trying toprevent this happening again / any tips for long term weight loss as Its all a bit intimidating with the different information and exercises given.
Thanks
- Adam

Replies

• Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will help you like it did me, but stop thinking of yourself on this "diet"...

You aren't dieting, you are changing your lifestyle to be healthier.

Change in little steps gradually.
    There is no such thing as a bad food.
    Eat in moderation.
    Exercise is NOT necessary for weight loss.
    Calories In < Calories Out.
    Drink water or tea.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will help you like it did me, but stop thinking of yourself on this "diet"...

You aren't dieting, you are changing your lifestyle to be healthier.

Change in little steps gradually.
    There is no such thing as a bad food.
    Eat in moderation.
    Exercise is NOT necessary for weight loss.
    Calories In < Calories Out.
    Drink water or tea.

Nothing wrong with coffee.....the dehydration myth is just that....

Yes, this!! .... I don't know why I didn't add it on there considering coffee is my lifeline in the morning lol
  • ttreit
    ttreit Posts: 59 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    While exercise may not be necessary for weight loss it's great for your over all health and feels great.

My advice is to start small finding things you enjoy and don't push yourself to exhaustion. Crossfit and those kinds of high energy workouts are great for people who want to really push themselves, but are often discouraging for beginners. Go for a 30 minute walk every day. It's not hard and eventually you'll be able to do more. Just be consistent about it. If you hate it try something else. Biking for example. If weather is a problem you can join a gym or walk at a mall or just bundle up.

Exercise plus a calorie deficit is a great combo to get you healthier.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Another thing to remember is that weight loss takes a long time for almost everyone. Longer than we all think it's going to take. Because we're considering an activity that is going to take months or years to complete, it's helpful to have perspective about how much impact one meal or one day is going to have in terms of your overall result. (Hint: one meal or one day really has very little impact on your overall rate of loss.) It's the long-term trend that is important, NOT one or two individual data points. So if your overall picture is of a calorie deficit, one day of going over your target isn't going to make a difference; you're not ruining anything as long as you get into your deficit tomorrow. And the next day, and the next, etc.

It's not about how low you can take your calories in a day, or a week, or a month. It's about how long you can sustain a small deficit.