Does sparkling water count as water intake?

I really don't like to drink water, no matter what source I get it from, bottled, tap, filtered, it always tastes metallic or like dirt or like a chemical. It really disgusts me, so I'm looking for an alternative, I need it to have a flavor. I'm also trying to cut back, if not cut out, drinking soda, my family always has bottles of pepsi in the fridge and hardly anything else to drink except maybe sweet tea, so I've been buying myself those less than a dollar bottles of flavored sparkling water. I googled if drinking it would count as water, but I want to know what the mfp community thinks?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    Yes. I love WalMart's Clear Americans. Really helps me drink water. The aspertame gives me headaches, though, if I have more than one a day.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Yes.
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Maybe try tossing in lemon, lime, cucumber, herbs or other fruit into your water.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Why would it not? :confused:
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Why not? It's fluid, isn't it?
  • cbohling1987
    cbohling1987 Posts: 99 Member
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Yes, 90% of my water intake is from coffee, diet soda, or those flavored sparkling water drinks (which are basically just fruit flavored diet sodas...).

As best as I can tell since the original source doesn't seem to be known, the 8 cups of water a day was meant to be a general suggestion for the total amount of water you need to intake for hydration, including water from food. And it's pretty general given hydration needs vary wildly based on weather and activity.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Yes
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    cs2thecox wrote: »
    yes... it IS water...
    having bubbles in it doesn't mean it's a different thing!

Yes, flavored sparkling water is essentially water.

It is also essentially diet soda, at least most varieties are.

I think both of those would count as water.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Another idea (not that there's anything wrong with flavored fizzy water) is to make your own iced tea, from teas that you like (I think herbal and fruit flavored teas work well for this). Make the tea, don't add sweetener, chill it.

You can also experiment with infused waters, although IME the taste is subtle enough that someone who dislikes water might not enjoy them (I love them, but then I love plain water).
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Diet soda is a diuretic which by definition, “takes away fluid” and shouldn’t be counted as “water”

On the other hand, carbonated water can be counted as “water” however not great pre-workout. Bloat!

No it isn't and no it doesn't.
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    I used to be like you, but got over it and now I enjoy plain water. It's my beverage of choice. Do what you need to do to get the water down. If your urine is light and clear, you're probably fine. Cheers!
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Get some crystal light mix or Mio and mix it in a gallon of water. Makes drinking water a bit easier for most people. Also if sucralose or artificial colors/sweeteners bother you, there are all natural options as well.