How to differentiate between intrinsic and extrinsic sugars.

Options
My intended target of >45 grams of sugar comes to naught because of my choices and intake of fruit and vegetables. Any ideas?
Thank you

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Ignore the sugar Goal.

+1
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    There is no difference between natural and added sugars. The goal given for sugar is 15% of total calories. Unless you have a medical reason to watch your intake, it’s fine to go over. Many people here don’t even bother tracking it and will switch it out with fiber (another thing fruits and vegetables are full of) in their diaries.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Track fiber and carbs and hide sugar if going over bothers you.

Fiber tends to be in more nutrient dense carbs that also have intrinsic sugar, like fruit and veg, so if you are below your carb goal and hitting or exceeding your fiber you are probably not consuming lots of added sugar.

Another option (and what I personally do and did (I log currently at Cronometer, not here) is to just look at your daily diary to see where your sugar is coming from and if there are any surprises.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Ignore the sugar Goal.

this, if you have no medical reason to watch sugar
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Ignore the sugar Goal.

Just quoting again because it's so true :smiley:
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    thecharon wrote: »
    50 grams is about my average of total sugar. I do not track sugar from fruits and veggies.

When you say you don't track sugar from fruits and vegetables, does that mean you don't log fruits/veggies at all? Do you account for their calories some other way, or...?
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    My intended target of >45 grams of sugar comes to naught because of my choices and intake of fruit and vegetables. Any ideas?
    Thank you

MFP doesn't differentiate between the 2. Your best bet is to log manually in excel and separate out the acceptable vs unacceptable there.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I know myself where the sugar comes from. I can look down my diary and see quite clearly that most of it is naturally occurring, and the rest isn't. If the amount of added sugar bothered me I could do something about it, like delete the sources of added sugar and replace the carb with something else.