Supplements and vitamins

Options
2»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    I have heard that fish oil is really good.

Does magnesium really help with sleep? That's definitely an area I need help with.

There are several different forms of magnesium. I've heard magnesium oxide is good for constipation. Not sure which one was helpful for sleep, but magnesium aspartate does nothing for me.

I'd start with melatonin. The sub-lingual type helps me get to sleep fast, and the slower release can help people stay asleep (but not me so much anymore. Still, I swore by melatonin for decades.)
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I take a womens multivitamin which has extra iron mainly. I take green tea as well because for me i find it does increase energy and concentration. I used to take fish oil and found it didn't do much. Same with BCAAs. I take Creatine with my Whey Protein. Whey protein to ensure i hit my protein target, creatine to help my push during workouts.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    B12/D3-because I work inside
    Glucosamine/Boswellia/Turmeric/Cinnamon/DHA/EPA-Because It seems to help with pain management(I'm "allergic" to NSAIDS)
    Multivitamin-Justin Case

Beta-Alanine/Creatine/Citrulline/BCAAs-Because I have observed performance/training benefits.

Examine.com-Because you need to do your own research
  • KendraS74
    KendraS74 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have to have Vitamin D and Biotin. The Biotin has helped me lose less hair. I have always shed hair, but this stuff really works for skin, nails, and hair. I take my usual multi and fish oil as well.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    thecharon wrote: »
    @fuzzylop72 Be careful with iodine. It can be harmful if taken in larger quantities. My walmart does not carry iodine which makes me uneasy. They do sell one online which contains 20,000% of RDA. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Thyroid-Care-by-Terry-Naturally-60-Tablets/195764435 My multivitamin contains a small amount which is just right. Tell your doctor about your intake of iodine.

Like many vegans, there's very little iodine in my diet (since I don't consume sea vegetables on a regular basis, nor iodized table salt). My doctor is aware of all my supplementation, though, and they're all pretty standard in terms of vegan supplementation.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    My questions is regarding supplements and vitamins. I've been trying to do research on all this fitness stuff and wanted some real people thoughts.

Do you do the supplements? If so what and why?

I take my daily multi vitamin, Iron (I'm anemic so I gotta), and Green tea extract (for the health benefits...it's supposed to be a good "natural" thing for depression, concentration, and what have you. Dr recommended so I said sure, why not)

Are there some things you absolutely MUST have? Are there some that are a huge no-no for you? I'm still new to all this and I'm trying to just figure out what would not just help me lose weight but also be healthy.

I take a multivitamin, fish oil and vitamin d every day (thyroid issues and my doc wants me on vitamin d). I also throw in vitamin c if it's cold and flu season.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    fuzzylop72 wrote: »
    thecharon wrote: »
    @fuzzylop72 Be careful with iodine. It can be harmful if taken in larger quantities. My walmart does not carry iodine which makes me uneasy. They do sell one online which contains 20,000% of RDA. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Thyroid-Care-by-Terry-Naturally-60-Tablets/195764435 My multivitamin contains a small amount which is just right. Tell your doctor about your intake of iodine.

Like many vegans, there's very little iodine in my diet (since I don't consume sea vegetables on a regular basis, nor iodized table salt). My doctor is aware of all my supplementation, though, and they're all pretty standard in terms of vegan supplementation.

Yep, here is the recommendation from a reliable source for vegan nutritional information: "North American vegans should take a modest iodine supplement; 75-150 µg every few days." (http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/iodine)

@thecharon , supplementation isn't one-size-fits-all. Sometimes people have special needs or lifestyle factors that make a certain supplementation decision the best call for them even though it may not be a good idea for someone else.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin due to diagnosed deficiencies - B6, folic acid, B12

Fish Oil as a precaution and Glucosamine/Chondroitin.

I'm always cautious around green tea. I had a case where a patient was on a "Green Tea regimen" for weight loss (no idea how much she was actually drinking). The treating physician performed an injection into the nasolabial folds and could not stop the bleeding from a 26 ga needle stick. The massive amounts of green tea she was ingesting dramatically inhibited her clotting factors.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I used to take swag of supplements.

Multi vitamin
    Fish oil
    Vit D
    Vit C
    Vit B
    co enzyme Q10

It was costing me a fortune! I felt no difference when taking them, and no different when i stopped taking them.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I take a multi, vit D, Vit B, calcium, iron and Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM. I do not absorb nutrients well and the doses are spaced out at different times of the day. My last blood work came back and I FINALLY have everything in the normal ranges! (Go me!)
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    Multivitamin (Centrum Silver for Women), because I never eat enough fruits and vegetables, glucosamine for arthritis, and iron because of ferritin deficiency.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I take Vitamin D, 4000IU because of chronic Vitamin D deficiency, monitored by my doctor.

I take turmeric because it's supposed to help ward off depression (there's a peer-reviewed study on this) and I'm afraid to go back to my former prescribing doctor, who turned out to be an unhinged lunatic who claimed I was going to kill myself based on my admission that 30 years ago I'd had a self-harm thought, and then left a message on my phone basically saying he'd have to have the police come pounding on my door to drag me to a looney hatch. Psych crazier than patient, hashtag irony. Psychiatrist phobia since then, double-irony.

Those are the only supplements I take.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I have purchased a bunch of different stuff and still have them in the kitchen cabinet where I forget to take them most days. In the bathroom where I will take it is the 81 mg aspirin. My doc recommended Tylenol PM as a sleep aid, so that, too.