Macros: I'm always over on Fat! Will it hurt?

Options
Hey all! I started counting macros two weeks ago and every single day I'm over on Fat.

I'm doing:
50% carbs (150-170g per day)
30% fat (40-45g per day)
20% protein (60-80g per day)

I've been doing great meeting calories, protein, and carbs, but going over about 10-20g on fat every day.
Usually my meals consist of ezekiel bread, nut butters, chicken, turkey, eggs, protein powder, mixed nuts, rice, oatmeal, and cheese.

Not sure if it's the nut butters or what, but I am always over on fat. Does anyone have any opinions on whether this will affect my body fat reduction and muscle gain?

Currently at 116 lbs, 5ft 0in tall, Body Fat is 24% looking to get down to 110 lbs and Body fat 22%. I do weights twice a week and cardio once, sometimes twice, per week.

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Generally fine to go over on proteins and fats. Not necessarily a problem to go over on carbs.

Just don't go over on all three. ;)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If you are hitting calories, protein, and carbs, but going over on fat, then something is not adding up. If it persists, and not seem to be caused by rounding, it can be smart to look for and remove/replace/fix the offending entry/entries. But eating more than 30% of your energy in the form of fat, will not hurt you, as long as you're not getting in too little of any essential nutrients, or too many calories over time, and as long as you like eating like that - getting bored is almost as effective for burnout as hunger :#
  • tinabell153
    tinabell153 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Good point! I guess I haven't been tracking macros enough to know if it's not going well. I'll just make sure I'm within my calories, but I know that macros are important for losing body fat, right?
  • babybuddha06
    babybuddha06 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    As long as you hit your protein and stay at a caloric deficit, I don’t think it matters if you go over your fat.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Good point! I guess I haven't been tracking macros enough to know if it's not going well. I'll just make sure I'm within my calories, but I know that macros are important for losing body fat, right?
    I noticed your diary shows carbs, protein, sugar and fiber - sugar and fiber are just subsets of carbs - you need to track fat, protein and carbs, to be able to see properly how it adds up.
    A consistent calorie deficit is what's needed for losing weight. Keeping the calorie deficit moderate, is important to make sure most of the weight lost, is fat. Healthy weightloss is a slow, slow process. Good nutrition makes it easier to consistently eat at a calorie deficit.
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I was going to ask the same question! I seem to try and get my calories in for the day so go a bit overboard on the old peanut butter and salted butter...looks like it won't hurt.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    As long as you hit your protein and stay at a caloric deficit, I don’t think it matters if you go over your fat.

This.