Drinking Isagenix greens and/or fruits

Options
I want to know what you think!?!
My friend recently gave me some Isagenix greens and fruits. I like them both. I would like to drink them as a supplement only but half of me says it’s a waste of money.
Please share your thoughts about products like Isagenix!

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Waste of money.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    Why are you doing it? Thinking it will "detox" or help you lose weight faster? It does neither. Also, do you intend to "supplement" the rest of your life?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Highalertmission
    Highalertmission Posts: 36 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Why are you doing it? Thinking it will "detox" or help you lose weight faster? It does neither. Also, do you intend to "supplement" the rest of your life?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    I am not looking to “detox “ or loose weight faster! I am happy with my weight. Planning to “supplement” until my health problem go away or to stop them from getting worse. Plus, my doctor has told me to eat lots of antioxidants, which this product has.
    I take it you are against using product like Isagenix? why? What is wrong with these products?
  • Highalertmission
    edited December 2017
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Waste of money.

Why? The ingredient list is pretty good?
    In the greens it has bee pollen which I’ve thought of taking for my head aches and a energy boost.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    The supplement industry is barely regulated as it is, and many don't have the ingredients on the label in the dosage indicated, sometimes not at all. There's no way to know that you are getting what you're paying for.

MLMs like Isagenix also add a high pressure recruitment tactic to get people to buy product to try to sell to everyone they know.

If you are dead set on using supplements, find the individual ones made by a USP listed manufacturer. That way you at least get what you paid for and no MLM to chase away your friends and family.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    The supplement industry is barely regulated as it is, and many don't have the ingredients on the label in the dosage indicated, sometimes not at all. There's no way to know that you are getting what you're paying for.

MLMs like Isagenix also add a high pressure recruitment tactic to get people to buy product to try to sell to everyone they know.

If you are dead set on using supplements, find the individual ones made by a USP listed manufacturer. That way you at least get what you paid for and no MLM to chase away your friends and family.

Exactly. if you really want to use supplements, use ones that use ethical and legit selling techniques.
  • Highalertmission
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Thank-you for the information, I will keep that in mind. When my friend gave me the product, my other friend said what is the point why don’t you just eat real food, which I 100% agree. Got me curious of what other people think because I’m not trying to use this product to loose weight.
  • Highalertmission
    Options

Exactly. if you really want to use supplements, use ones that use ethical and legit selling techniques.

So maybe ones from a health food store?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    When my friend gave me the product, my other friend said what is the point why don’t you just eat real food, which I 100% agree.

I'm skeptical of supplements for the reasons given above, and am particularly skeptical/suspicious of Isagenix because of some things I've read (but was never interested in it, so didn't research in depth so will let you do that research).

The above is really my attitude: if you want antioxidants or the benefits of a healthy diet, eat foods that have antioxidants and eat a healthy diet, is how I feel.

That said, I do consume some foods that have supplements (the Vega protein powders sometimes have a bunch), and I consume them when I enjoy them (because I like that particular protein powder), but I would not really rely on that -- if I think I need more antioxidants in my diet I'd go for fruits and veg, not rely on a supplement.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    I am not looking to “detox “ or loose weight faster! I am happy with my weight. Planning to “supplement” until my health problem go away or to stop them from getting worse. Plus, my doctor has told me to eat lots of antioxidants, which this product has.
    I take it you are against using product like Isagenix? why? What is wrong with these products?
    You can get lots of anti oxidants through actual foods and don't need to pay an outrageous price for them.
    Also if you know anything about supplements, then you should know that they aren't regulated by the FDA, but by the DSHEA. That basically means there's NO REGULATION. Supplement companies can claim whatever they want on the label without having to fulfill ratios or content. That's why there's always a disclaimer on it.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Highalertmission
    Options

lemurcat12 wrote: »
    When my friend gave me the product, my other friend said what is the point why don’t you just eat real food, which I 100% agree.

I'm skeptical of supplements for the reasons given above, and am particularly skeptical/suspicious of Isagenix because of some things I've read (but was never interested in it, so didn't research in depth so will let you do that research).

That said, I do consume some foods that have supplements (the Vega protein powders sometimes have a bunch), and I consume them when I enjoy them (because I like that particular protein powder), but I would not really rely on that -- if I think I need more antioxidants in my diet I'd go for fruits and veg, not rely on a supplement.

It’s responses like this that help me learn, thank you, you’ve been very helpful.

But protein powder is for someone who is running marathons or into sports, no? Or more for meal replacements? I did see vega protein powder but I didn’t think to look at it (the lady at the store wasn’t very helpful).
  • Highalertmission
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    I take it you are

Also if you know anything about supplements, then you should know that they aren't regulated by the FDA, but by the DSHEA. That basically means there's NO REGULATION. Supplement companies can claim whatever they want on the label without having to fulfill ratios or content. That's why there's always a disclaimer on it.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Uuumm that is why I’m on here asking questions...
    I work in a industry with NO REGULATION, doesn’t mean I’m going to do bad stuff. There has to be something good coming from supplements?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

It’s responses like this that help me learn, thank you, you’ve been very helpful.

But protein powder is for someone who is running marathons or into sports, no? Or more for meal replacements? I did see vega protein powder but I didn’t think to look at it (the lady at the store wasn’t very helpful).

Just to be clear, I'm not recommending Vega or any protein powder (not saying you shouldn't consume them either). I'm just admitting that I sometimes consume a product with supplements in it, but I'm not doing it for that reason and wouldn't think that meant I didn't need to bother getting my micros and vegetables from, well, food. (The Vega have two kinds of supplement, one kind has what seems to be like a greens powder, and there I'd personally always advise getting greens from consuming greens if you can, I just think it's likely to have more than a powder, and good to learn to enjoy eating nutrient-dense foods. The other is vitamin supplements, and the only issue I have with that is that if you are really concerned you are short on a vitamin I'd probably want to supplement from a reputable vitamin company.)

Protein powder is just if you find it a helpful way to get protein. I like to have protein at breakfast and sometimes enjoy smoothies or oats, so I add protein powder (since otherwise they aren't high in protein). Lately in particular I've been on a smoothie kick.

Re Vega, some of the Vega powders I don't like (with ANY protein powder I'd recommend trying it in a serving-size packet first, as you won't end up with a whole lot of something you cannot stand). Others, including one that happens to have a bunch of supplements, I do enjoy. Lots of protein powders are really just your protein source and maybe some flavoring (whey isolate is a common protein source, or egg white, or soy or pea protein for the vegan ones). The Vega is a mix of plant-based sources.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Uuumm that is why I’m on here asking questions...
    I work in a industry with NO REGULATION, doesn’t mean I’m going to do bad stuff. There has to be something good coming from supplements?
    Lol, if there's no regulation, then how do you determine bad from good? Regulations get put in place to help to protect consumers. Look what happened when they de regulated the banks loans over a decade ago. No one selling loans thought they were doing "bad stuff".
    Some supplements work, but by in large their effect is only about 1% overall. Most people get the majority of their nutrients from their foods that they consume.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Highalertmission
    Options

Just to be clear, I'm not recommending Vega or any protein powder (not saying you shouldn't consume them either). I'm just admitting that I sometimes consume a product with supplements in it, but I'm not doing it for that reason and wouldn't think that meant I didn't need to bother getting my micros and vegetables from, well, food. (The Vega have two kinds of supplement, one kind has what seems to be like a greens powder, and there I'd personally always advise getting greens from consuming greens if you can, I just think it's likely to have more than a powder, and good to learn to enjoy eating nutrient-dense foods. The other is vitamin supplements, and the only issue I have with that is that if you are really concerned you are short on a vitamin I'd probably want to supplement from a reputable vitamin company.)

Protein powder is just if you find it a helpful way to get protein. I like to have protein at breakfast and sometimes enjoy smoothies or oats, so I add protein powder (since otherwise they aren't high in protein). Lately in particular I've been on a smoothie kick.

Re Vega, some of the Vega powders I don't like (with ANY protein powder I'd recommend trying it in a serving-size packet first, as you won't end up with a whole lot of something you cannot stand). Others, including one that happens to have a bunch of supplements, I do enjoy. Lots of protein powders are really just your protein source and maybe some flavoring (whey isolate is a common protein source, or egg white, or soy or pea protein for the vegan ones). The Vega is a mix of plant-based sources.

I really want to try doing smoothies but I have to wait to get a blender (sad face) But anyway thank you again for the information you have given me.
  • Highalertmission
    edited December 2017
    Options
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    First, there are so many other things that you should consider prior to supplements: overall diet, macronutrient and micronutrient composition, and even timing of nutrients. Because ultimately, supplements are going to have such a little impact on health. This doesn't even consider that food has greater bioavailability that pills.

Having said that, some people do have struggles with things like protein consumption, or just need something quick (I have 2 very young kids) so I get that. This is where a good protein supplement can come into place.

I actually enjoy cooking with whey protein, but I also will research my supplements through independent companies that do assessments on quality, such as www.labdoor.com .
  • Highalertmission
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    First, there are so many other things that you should consider prior to supplements: overall diet, macronutrient and micronutrient composition, and even timing of nutrients. Because ultimately, supplements are going to have such a little impact on health. This doesn't even consider that food has greater bioavailability that pills.

Having said that, some people do have struggles with things like protein consumption, or just need something quick (I have 2 very young kids) so I get that. This is where a good protein supplement can come into place.

I actually enjoy cooking with whey protein, but I also will research my supplements through independent companies that do assessments on quality, such as www.labdoor.com .

Thank you!