Some important questions (!)

Options
elizabethbettycooper
elizabethbettycooper Posts: 38 Member
edited December 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I am fairly new here, been on this for about a month now (34 days) and I have learnt a lot of things from the forum discussions, however I have a few questions and I was hoping y'all could help me out?

1. I've only been on this journey a month and I've sort of just stopped losing weight? Am I going through a plateau and is it even possible at only one month in? (tho I might be over thinking this, as it's only been one week and there's been no change, but to be fair, the previous weeks I've lost weight each week)

2. Is it better to weigh yourself or take measurements?

3. How often do y'all reccomend weighing in? (atm I do it every week)

Also, I'm not sure if I should mention my weight and height so I'll just leave it here anyways ;

I'm female, 19
SW : 97kg
CW : 92kg
Height : 1.74/1.75 m
Been on this journey for 34 days now as said above.
Thank you and any help at all is appreciated! :)

Replies

• elizabethbettycooper
    Options
    @Nony_Mouse thank you so much for answering! I'll look into it
  • elizabethbettycooper
    elizabethbettycooper Posts: 38 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    @nutmegoreo lmao for emphasis
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    :bigsmile:

Nony covered most of what I would say. If it's close to TOM or during TOM, it's not uncommon for there to be some water retention. This is just part of our wonderful cycle and it should all shift at the end of that week.

New exercise routines and a higher salt intake one day will also cause these "stalls" on the scale. Monitor the overall trend. I like taking pictures, measurements, and weight. Much more complete representation of progress.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,634 Member
    Options
    Listen to the Nameless Mouse!

About the only nit that I would pick is that at your current weight, and until you enter the overweight range, and subject to things being easy enough for you to comply with long term, I would not put a hard 500 Cal deficit limit. What i would aim for instead is a real deficit of ~20% and up to 25% of TDEE.

This can probably be accomplished by the 1lb + some of your exercise calories seeing Nony discussed. Or may require tweaking.

I would also remind you that exercise is for health not just weight loss and not *necessary* for weight loss. Pick activities and exercises you like and can do long term. Calories can be burned many ways and daily activity is just as (or even more) important as exercise for that.

This is in reaction to the 6x a week exercise which I somehow suspect may be a new thing. Nothing wrong with it. Far from. But controlling your weight is not dependent on making it to the gym and that is an important realization for the long term.