OldHobo
OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
Everybody makes this.
  • Chopped tomato
  • Finely chopped or minced onion
  • Jalapeno, serrano etc.
  • Cilantro
  • Lime juice.
After a few hours water separates from the fresh veggies, tomatoes mostly, and collects in the tub. So I added two minced halves of dry sun-dried tomato for each Roma tomato. The dried tomatoes add a slightly different flavor and absorb all that extra water. Somebody else prolly thunk of this but it's the closest I've come to an original idea in a while.

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Interesting, I'll try it.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Brilliant! Now, where to find sun-dried tomatoes. If I set tomatoes out to dry in the sun, the wild critters thank me.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Brilliant! Now, where to find sun-dried tomatoes. If I set tomatoes out to dry in the sun, the wild critters thank me.
    Got tired of paying several dollars for few ounces. Now I get them here.
  • Michie112g
    Michie112g Posts: 49 Member
    Have you tried adding cucumbers, green tomatoes or sweet mini peppers ?

• grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited December 2017
    OldHobo wrote: »
    Everybody makes this.
    • Chopped tomato
    • Finely chopped or minced onion
    • Jalapeno, serrano etc.
    • Cilantro
    • Lime juice.
    After a few hours water separates from the fresh veggies, tomatoes mostly, and collects in the tub. So I added two minced halves of dry sun-dried tomato for each Roma tomato. The dried tomatoes add a slightly different flavor and absorb all that extra water. Somebody else prolly thunk of this but it's the closest I've come to an original idea in a while.

You can also reduce the fluid "leakage" from raw tomatoes by a couple different routes:

1. After chopping tomatoes, place all (skin, seeds, and all) in a colander and let drain for 30 minutes before using. +/- a salt sprinkling to aid in water extraction during.
    2. Remove the innards (jelly + seeds) and just using the firm flesh part of them.
    3. Take whole (skin/seeds/all) chopped tomatoes for a ride in a salad spinner before adding to the dish to remove juice + some jelly/seeds but not all.

Works for other dishes besides fresh salsa, too. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Michie112g wrote: »
    Have you tried adding cucumbers, green tomatoes or sweet mini peppers ?

blasphemy...
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Needs more garlic
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,702 Member
    Needs more garlic

Garlic, for sure. And freshly roasted green chiles.