Thoughts on “carry” exercises?

Options
2»

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I do asymmetrical carries, stair climbs and lunges holding 2 unequal weights or a weight in one hand, to make it more "realistic". If i'm feeling punishing i'll hold short barbells or pinch-grip plates for a grip & forearm beatdown. :+1:
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    What are your thoughts on “carrying” exercises such as farmers carry, suitcase dumbbell carry, waiters carry, etc?
    They’re not something that I’ve heard a lot about or really looked into before, and my trainers over the years have never really included any of these in my programs. I’m curious to know whether you guys incorporate them into your weight training and if so whether or not you feel they are beneficial? One article I read went as far as to claim that they were one of the 5 essential elements of any exercise program. Thoughts?

I love them. I'd guess the article you are talking about was by Dan John or someone quoting him.

Here are some samples:

https://www.otpbooks.com/dan-john-5-basic-human-movements/

http://brobible.com/sports/article/five-movements-build-muscle-shed-fat/

http://www.seanflanaganfitness.com/blog/important-strength-moves-fat-loss/
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Carries are essential but unfortunately often overlooked. So I guess they "should" be essential. I do many different variations, and like someone already said, grip training is way down the list of why I do them.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    No, I don't find them efficient for my goals of strength training and powerlifting.

I can think of a thousand things to do before I consider doing any of those.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Farmer's walks are great for building grip strength, core stability, and overall upper body strength.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    True story.
    My biggest wife, Pat, is 65. Weighs maybe 110 pounds soaking wet.
    She goes in for her physical. The doctor only sees how thin she is and says she wants her to start going to the gym and lifting light weights.
    Pat starts laughing. She tells the doctor how her day starts. The doctor stored saying anything about the gym.
    Pat has 4 horses. Her day starts with varying and throwing 45 pound bales of hay. One in each hand.
    If she hand tightens a butterfly nut, most guys have to use a wrench to get it off.
    Looks can be deceiving.
  • morriganmom
    morriganmom Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am reading this thread because I was wondering about the benefits of the farmers’ carry. I was thinking of inviting a neighbor friend (both of us about 60 yo) to walk a stretch of our street and we would share a pair of 20 lb kettle bells-we would switch back and forth with only one of us carrying at a time. (Both of us are seeking to have more weight bearing exercise.) Any thoughts? Seem worthwhile or a waste of time?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I was thinking of inviting a neighbor friend (both of us about 60 yo) to walk a stretch of our street and we would share a pair of 20 lb kettle bells-we would switch back and forth with only one of us carrying at a time. (Both of us are seeking to have more weight bearing exercise.) Any thoughts? Seem worthwhile or a waste of time?

It's only a waste if you already carry that amount of weight regularly in your daily life. Otherwise it's a great functional exercise. Just keep your abs very tight to protect your back. Also avoid shoes with a raised heel - which most shoes have - because it prevents a smooth rolling motion of your foot. Good "zero heel" shoes to wear include Converse, skateboard shoes, Vans, etc. :+1:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    True story.
    She goes in for her physical. The doctor only sees how thin she is and says she wants her to start going to the gym and lifting light weights.
    Pat starts laughing. She tells the doctor how her day starts. The doctor stored saying anything about the gym.
    Pat has 4 horses. Her day starts with varying and throwing 45 pound bales of hay. One in each hand.
    If she hand tightens a butterfly nut, most guys have to use a wrench to get it off.
    Looks can be deceiving.

Curious—how many wives do you have?
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Go Pat!
    I love carries and try to do them often. I play tennis, and I never quite realized, until I started doing carries, that my right hand is much stronger than my left. You don't notice it with a barbell, or even pull-ups. But you do when you start doing farmer's carries or pinch carries with a plate.
  • Inspirationalwaterjug
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    True story.
    Looks can be deceiving.

Curious—how many wives do you have?

Had the same thought too.