Fiber

Options
I seem to go through cycles and have to be careful with fiber. If I consume too much, the pipes get clogged and it becomes uncomfortable for me. Eating fiber keeps me feeling full longer. Advice?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Do you also eat enough fat and drink enough water? Do you eat both soluble/insoluble fibre?

(I have to limit amounts of certain vegies so I don't go overboard with fibre - I get issues overdoing it too!)
  • Anon2018
    Anon2018 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Are you eating mostly naturally occuring fiber or fiber that's inserted in foods (i.e. fiber one products, certain yogurts with chicory root, etc.). The ingredient you see a lot is "chicory root" which I personally have a terrible reaction to - but even still the fiber in regular oatmeal, berries, spinach, etc tends to have a better digestive effect on me than "artificial" fiber.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    A balanced intake of soluble and insoluble fiber will help keep things moving along. What balance? at least 1/3 of fiber should be soluble, and not more than 2/3 should be soluble. The insoluble fiber causes the formation of dry mass poop that doesn't move fast. The soluble causes the other kind.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    In addition to what's already mentioned, try increasing slowly over time. I have the most trouble when I have a really high fiber day out of nowhere. And as others have said, try increasing water and fat as well.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    A balanced intake of soluble and insoluble fiber will help keep things moving along. What balance? at least 1/3 of fiber should be soluble, and not more than 2/3 should be soluble. The insoluble fiber causes the formation of dry mass poop that doesn't move fast. The soluble causes the other kind.

I didn't know that, do you any decent sources of it I could read?

This is why I love MFP. I learn each and every day.