Protein Shakes

Options
So I'm Thinking About Protein Shakes , But I Dont Really Know Much About Them ...Any Suggestions ?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    They supplement your protein intake. If you can't get sufficient protein from other sources, a protein powder will enable you to bump up your intake easily. I don't find drinking my calories satiating at all, so don't have shakes, but do add protein powder to some meals to bump up protein content.

(not capitalising every word might make your posts easier to read - you might get better responses)
  • KaeMarieXO
    KaeMarieXO Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks and I have already got that memo from other members , I'm trying to change it but its a habit i been typing that way for years
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    As said, protien shakes are good to supplement your protein intake. I read elsewhere that you are looking for non-animal. The vegan protein powders that I've tried is mostly chalky texture, but if you can get past that, then you're golden. I like the Vega1 all-in-one. It has a wider nutritional profile than just protein powder. They have a couple different flavors, but I usually just use the natural. Mix it with spinach, some fruit, and some flax or Chia seeds. I find it will keep me full for a couple hours for about 300 calories. I use it as a quick grab and go breakfast.

If you can get your protein needs from food, I think that's better in that it will help keep you full for longer (for many people, not everyone). Try some, play around with it and see what works for you. We will all be different.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    As said, protien shakes are good to supplement your protein intake. I read elsewhere that you are looking for non-animal. The vegan protein powders that I've tried is mostly chalky texture, but if you can get past that, then you're golden. I like the Vega1 all-in-one. It has a wider nutritional profile than just protein powder. They have a couple different flavors, but I usually just use the natural. Mix it with spinach, some fruit, and some flax or Chia seeds. I find it will keep me full for a couple hours for about 300 calories. I use it as a quick grab and go breakfast.

If you can get your protein needs from food, I think that's better in that it will help keep you full for longer (for many people, not everyone). Try some, play around with it and see what works for you. We will all be different.

I use Vega. At the moment I'm using their berry-flavored Protein & Greens. It does have a bit of a texture to it but I don't mind. I mix it with milk, crushed ice and then I add half a banana and mix it again.

I tried a different brand and it was horrifyingly chalky. I don't mind the Vega, but it's pricey. I haven't tried the flavored because I add fruit and veg (helps increase that intake as well). Mine is more of a smoothie than a shake. I like banana with them, but I find it really thinkens them up. Same with avocado. I do find the thicker smoothie seems to stick with me longer. Although I prefer pancakes and eggs.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options

I use Vega. At the moment I'm using their berry-flavored Protein & Greens. It does have a bit of a texture to it but I don't mind. I mix it with milk, crushed ice and then I add half a banana and mix it again.

I tried a different brand and it was horrifyingly chalky. I don't mind the Vega, but it's pricey. I haven't tried the flavored because I add fruit and veg (helps increase that intake as well). Mine is more of a smoothie than a shake. I like banana with them, but I find it really thinkens them up. Same with avocado. I do find the thicker smoothie seems to stick with me longer. Although I prefer pancakes and eggs.

That's why I like using bananas- makes it seem like I'm having a milkshake :p

The reason I bought the berry flavor was because I was buying berries and adding it to either chocolate or vanilla and it was getting to be too pricey- so now I have a shake that tastes very similar to what I was having before but for cheaper.

Cool. Maybe next time I'll try a flavored one. I've been hesitant because what I put in varies with what I have in the fridge. While I find carrots and spinach hide well with fruits, some things don't mix well. Then I end up chugging it and hoping it doesn't come back up. :laugh: