Maintaining while Injured

I took a really nasty fall this week and working out is out until the doctor gives me the all clear. How do I heal and maintain or lose while doing so?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Set mfp to maintain, eat that amount.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Do not aim to lose whilst healing, your body needs the calories to repair.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    This happened to me this summer ... coincidentally, Lyle McDonald's Optimal Nutrition for Healing arrived in my in box that very same day. I ate at maintenance, more or less, for a month, and upped my intake of vitamin C and Omega-3 (for the anti-inflammatory properties). It took almost 2 months to where I could go back to any kind of working out, and it has only been in the last month that I feel I am totally good to go for movements like squats and lunges. Good luck in your recovery!
  • halicki62
    halicki62 Posts: 4 Member
    Thank you. I am not a sit still type of person so this is going to be really hard for me.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,634 Member
    I've had lots of injuries & i'm not the sit still type either, you can modify things you can do
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    halicki62 wrote: »
    Thank you. I am not a sit still type of person so this is going to be really hard for me.

Better to sit for a few weeks to recover than end up with a permanent injury...
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 5,075 Member
    Did your Doc recommend any physical therapy. Sometimes stretching and therapy can help with the "no exercise blues missing those endorphins!". Also, not sure what your injury was but can you say work out your abs and upper body if it was a leg injury. Or vice versa? Trying to see the bright side of an enforced time off here.... Maybe get a massage? Or something else to baby yourself while in recovery time.