Difference: MapMyRun vs MapMyWalk?

Options
CB8504
CB8504 Posts: 29 Member
edited December 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Does anyone know how MapMyRun is different from MapMyWalk? If I walk while in the MapMyRun app, is it not going to be accurate or something? I don't really want to download both if could track when I walk and run in one app.

Replies

• ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that both are essentially the same. If you walk using MapMyRun the app may assume that you ran at a very slow pace. You can read more here:

https://support.mapmyfitness.com/hc/en-us/articles/200118114-What-s-the-Difference-Between-the-Different-MapMy-Apps-?mobile_site=true
  • citygator
    citygator Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    They all use GPS. I use map my hike which is the same as the others. In fact I had to change the default activity from run to hike on it. I notice no real difference other than some small amount of tailoring. In fact my hiking posts are on all the different apps. Wish they transferred to my fitness pal with the pics. Seems weird.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    If you use MapMyFitness you can log/track any type of exercise in just the one app. I use it for everything.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Running the same distance as walking burns approximately double the calories (it's a far less efficient movement as you are wasting energy accelerating your mass upwards when running).
    Your app would need to know whether you are walking or running, Runkeeper allows you to that in one app.

Beware very often MapMyxxxx apps get mentioned in threads on here for giving ludicrously inflated calorie estimates.

If you mean accurate as in tracking distance accurately then any GPS app should be competent,

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Beware very often MapMyxxxx apps get mentioned in threads on here for giving ludicrously inflated calorie estimates.

If you mean accurate as in tracking distance accurately then any GPS app should be competent.

I use Map My Hike (MMH) to track my route and measure distsnce on my hikes.
    Comparing the distances w/printed trail maps, MMH (whichbuses GPS) definitely seems more accurate in measuring distance than the pedometer app that I use which asdunes a certain stride lenght per step to estimate the distance covered

The pedometer app assumes flat ground walks regardless of body and/or pack weight) and is useless for estimating cals on hikes.

On the other hand, the estimated cals on MHH, which takes into account distance and elevation but not body and/or pack weight) are about 25% higher than the estimate I get w/a n online hiking cal calculator which takes into account body weight, pack weight, type of terrain and the degree of slope.

So, on hikes, I use the pedometer to measure steps, MHH to record the route, distance and pace/elevation changes and use the online hiking cal calculator to estimate the cals burned.

Would be nice to find one app that can do all of these things accurately in one package but I have yet to find such such an application.
  • CB8504
    CB8504 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I would just want it to as accurately as possible to track how many miles I can walk/run and how long it takes me to walk/run per mile. Not necessarily caring if it accurately tells me how many calories I'm burning. Thank you!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    It's the same software with a different user interface.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    On every MapMyXx app you can choose any exercise and they all run off the same database. The name is a marketing thing.