Losing weight, toning and getting fit

Options
Long time since i have been in this forum, but I am back trying to get some kind of fitness. At the age of 56, I am thinking that there is still some fitness left in me...
My goals are to lose the spare tyre that i have got around my waist, get fit and trying to tone my body. I have unfortunately an incision hernia (after donating a kidney), so i am limited on what i can do (no heavy lifting). I have decided to stick to a program that don't make me spend too much time at the gym. It consists of running on the treadmill (or using the rowing machine), run for 300m as fast as I can (after warm up of course) or row 500m and then do a 40 rep exercise (weight, kettlebell, machine etc) without stopping (well trying not to). I have started with 5 sets of each, already increased to 6 this week, and will add an extra set until i reach 10 sets. As i get fitter, i will increase slightly the distance on the run/rowing. Has anyone with some fitness experience could tell me if this a good programme, or would they change anything. Thank you

J

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

There are plenty of solidly structured programs that are body weight based that might be a good start. In reality, anything that is based around progressive overload will provide you good gains.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Depends what you mean by 'fitness'? I'm a runner, and cross train on a bike so my fitness is pretty good for those things. Put me on a rower and I would probably be rubbish...

Maybe try setting yourself some more specific goals?
  • jc1961AA
    jc1961AA Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

There are plenty of solidly structured programs that are body weight based that might be a good start. In reality, anything that is based around progressive overload will provide you good gains.

Thanks, quite a bit to read there.
  • RangeBoss
    RangeBoss Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    First of all. Good for you donating a kidney. That automatically puts you in a very special category.

I’m 57 and have really focused on getting back into shape over the past 6 years. I have some limitations related to weight restrictions due to injuries.

This summer I decided to invest in a personal trainer. Great move. I shared my goals and restrictions. She came back with 10 sessions teaching me all kinds of new exercises that I can do. Love it and have a renewed enthusiasm about working out. I’d encourage you to try finding a good personal trainer that can work with you.

Good luck and let me know how it goes.

Enjoy
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    We you say "losing weight', I'm guessing you want to lose fat rather than muscle.

It's no secret.... but maintaining a clean diet is key. (there's lots of conversation and opinions on this, right?)

and yes, mad respect for donating the kidney.

best of luck

• jc1961AA
    jc1961AA Posts: 283 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Motorsheen, yes that spare tire that goes around my waist. One issue is that i love food (I guess i am not the only one), and tend to eat really fast until i feel full. That's something i really need to change and I know it.
    Training has been going well, minus picked up an injury on my right wrist, but it's not stopping me too much. I am already on 8 sets per session and i have added since this week an extra session of a more heavier lifting. I am already feeling fitter. So far I can say that i am exactly where i wanted to be which is great, but I can't wait to really see the results, I will review my training regime probably at the end of January and tweak a few things if needs be.

Mwpennybac, personal trainer is not an option because of the financial pressure. But I try to read plenty of materials and picking up things as i go along
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    jc1961AA wrote: »
    Motorsheen, yes that spare tire that goes around my waist. One issue is that i love food (I guess i am not the only one), and tend to eat really fast until i feel full. That's something i really need to change and I know it.
    Training has been going well, minus picked up an injury on my right wrist, but it's not stopping me too much. I am already on 8 sets per session and i have added since this week an extra session of a more heavier lifting. I am already feeling fitter. So far I can say that i am exactly where i wanted to be which is great, but I can't wait to really see the results, I will review my training regime probably at the end of January and tweak a few things if needs be.

Mwpennybac, personal trainer is not an option because of the financial pressure. But I try to read plenty of materials and picking up things as i go along

@jc1961AA

Keep up the good work, Homeslice!

remember, it's a process, not an event.

Hang in there.