Keto and body building

Options
Any body builders on a keto diet? If so how is it working out for you and what is your daily protein intake with keeping protein to 20%

Replies

• LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I just started on Friday. I have been playing with Low Carb and Carb Timing (as in, an hour before my training session) and decided that now is actually the time to do this. My first ever meet is in March, 2018 and now would be the ideal time to do this. Yes, Keto is a lifestyle and not some fad. I am doing this due to high A1C. But, now is the time - for me - to see how this works out.

To answer your question, here are my maintenance calories and macro break down:

2,350 Calories

70% is from Fat
    25% is from Protein
    5% is from Carbs

1,645 Calories from Fat
    587.5 Calories from Protein
    117.5 Calories from Carbs

1,645 / 9 = 183g
    587.5 / 4 = 147g
    117.5 / 4 = 29g

I am going with 25%. Will see how that works out. On days that I train (Tue, Thur, Sat, Sun) I have eat more calories (2,600) and about the same breakdown (higher protein)

I am doing the Strong Lifts 5x5 program and things are getting heavy. No issues so far (can't really comment, though, after one training session).
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I find carbs beneficial for training energy and to support growth. I wouldn't choose to do keto when trying to build muscle.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    To @livingleanlivingclean - totally agree. And I have played with carbs before (with respect to training) and do SO MUCH better. However, carbs do not like me (I love love love me some carbs....so, not doing this because I am some keto-nazi.......my only agenda here is my health). While I was not able to go to the gym, I played with a lot of things and I do so much better with low carb and have been playing with the idea of doing Keto (again, solely for my overall health.....get healthy, then fit, right?).

So, do I recommend doing Keto and Power Lifting | Body Building? Generally speaking, HELL NO! But, there are some of us (and I am apparently one of them) for whom a low- carb | keto nutritional plan IS INDEED the way to go (big picture).

But, you are so correct.....carbs do indeed make more weight move faster (generally speaking).
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:

9. Do Not Post the Same Topic on Multiple Boards or Groups
    Please choose the most appropriate board or group for your post and post it once. Posting the same message to multiple boards or multiple groups is a form of spam. Please note that this is NOT a guideline against inadvertently posting a question another member has asked before. We explicitly allow members to post questions that have been asked previously by other members. If you see a member post a topic that you think has been asked before by another member, please respond politely or simply move on. However, the same member cannot ask the same question or post the same topic more than once.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,

psuLemon
This discussion has been closed.