Beginner walk/jog to half marathon?

Options
I just started eating healthier and working out a month ago and have lost almost 10 pounds! (I'm 20, 5'3, 171 - started at 180). I just started a 5k training app and have actually enjoyed it, which is a shock because I have never enjoyed running in my entire life!

I have this idea as of recently that I want to eventually run a half marathon (specifically the St. Jude Half) which took place today, so it will be around a year from now. I feel like this is plenty of time to train to get to a half marathon, but does anyone have advice they could share with me to help get there? I assume running a complete 5k would be a good start, and then after that a 10k? I am pretty clueless, so I would love to know if anyone has any advice.

Thanks so much!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yep, start with a 5k, then a 10k.

Have you been fit for shoes?

Do you do cross training? And makr sure you stretch well after you run.

Oh and when you get to longer distances, beware the runger!!!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    A year to HM is perfectly achievable.

Personally I'd suggest going from 5 K straight onto a bridge to 10K. The 10K distance allows you to make good progress without consuming huge amounts of time.

Work out what HM plan you want to use, I like the Higdon plans, and work back from the race to identify when you'll need to start that.

It's worth planning a couple of races in the interim, to familiarise yourself with it. I'd aim for 10Ks rather than 5Ks.
  • emilyvictoria7
    emilyvictoria7 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I originally started with a 5K and used the C25K app which worked for me in the beginning until I realized running is a LOT of mental energy, not just listening for the beeps for the rest. I ran my 5K in August. Then I switched over to a training plan I found online - Hal Higdon's 10K Novice Training.

I built up from 5K to a 10K run at the beginning of November. Now, 5K is usually my maintenance distance and I intend to maintain through the winter and switch my focus to strength training so I can start back to training for a half marathon in the spring.

I echo the sentiments above with both cross training, and with stretching. Cross training especially basic strength training in your legs will help different muscles to fire and improve your run times. Beware of your IT bands as I neglected my stretching while working to a 5K and now that I've added all the distance I have a clicking in my right hip that I'm almost positive is my IT Band.

I personally really like Millionaire Hoy's 30m "Deep Stretch Yoga" for Runners. It focuses heavily on legs/hips stretching.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    Absolutely achievable. Galloway method is a popular walk and jog program. And yes to the C25K program too. St Jude is a tremendous charity and you can also raise funds and enter dozens of other events for them all across USA. They partner with a lot of events. In addition to Galloway method Hal Higdon has training programs for half marathon too that are very popular and simplistic.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,686 Member
    Options
    You have plenty of time to build your base safely. Son't try to push too fast, but continue to increase your weekly mileage base. Try to get up to an average of 30-35 before starting HM specific training. It's a lot easier to do 13 miles when it's only a third of your total weekly mileage vs. half. Do some shorter races. They're fun and they'll teach you a lot about controlling your pace so that you last for the whole distance.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    After you do C210K, look up Hal Higdon training plans. He has several programs for halfs and they are quite well respected.
    PS Thank you for asking now rather than 11 months from now, lol.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Question for those mentioning Hal Higdon or other training plans. Do these incorporate resistance training as well? Or do you have to figure out how to fit weightlifting in?

Thanks.
  • YosemiteSlamAK
    YosemiteSlamAK Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Do you have a running store in your area? Having your gait analyzed to get the correct shoe type is a good step. The last thing you want is a shoe that makes you cramp, pull a muscle or turn an ankle. If the race hadn't passed, I would have recommended going to the prerace expo, they typically have a gait booth and plenty of shoes in stock.
    I do the Nashville half every year, which is also a St Jude race. Check out their website, you can earn extra medals for doing combinations of races over a year. www.runrocknroll.com
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Question for those mentioning Hal Higdon or other training plans. Do these incorporate resistance training as well? Or do you have to figure out how to fit weightlifting in?

Thanks.

Hal Higdon has suggested strength training days for many of his plans.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,686 Member
    Options
    You have to figure out how to fit the weights in. Usually either on the off days, or on the shorter days. He includes one day of cross-training, but that is supposed to be something that is more aerobic - like walking, biking or swimming.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    A year gives you plenty of time to prepare, as others have said take in steps, 5K, 10K etc. I'll also second the advice for cross training while most running injuries are a result of too much, too soon too fast cross training (cycling, swimming, strength) can help address muscular imbalances and improve injury resistance (and a bit of variety keeps things more interesting)

Have fun!