IT Band

Options
Hi there
I like running, zumba, yoga, swimming and spin. Yestetday i got IT Band pain in my left leg. I am going to rest and learn to stretch better. Any suggestions for good exercuse to continue maintaining weight loss and diet while i rest from running? I have list two stone in six months so keen to continue. Any Dos/donts/encouragement please!? Many Thanks and Early Festive Wishes
Kate

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Just keep eating in a deficit
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Pain related to the IT band shouldn't be alleviated by stretching. It's not connective tissue that should be stretched. Generally IT band issues related to strength in the core or hips.

I'd suggest speaking to a physio for some advice, but as above you just need to manage your calorie intake to avoid gain.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Core work like planks and clamshells work well. If pain persists, definitely go to PT.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Generally IT band issues related to strength in the core or hips.

Or injury. I had IT issues after getting sideswiped by a car.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Two things. 1) buy a foam roller and roll on it over your upper legs. Especially where the it band is. Watch a YouTube video if you don't understand. And 2) stretch your hamstrings out. They are probably right.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    for i.t. band stuff, i did best with the self-massage instructions that concentrated on the muscles that feed into/attach to the band.

not on the i.t. band itself. for me it's one of the body zones that you have to sneak up on rather than try to attack directly.
  • goslingkate981
    goslingkate981 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    scorpio516 wrote: »
    Generally IT band issues related to strength in the core or hips.

Or injury. I had IT issues after getting sideswiped by a car.

Sorry to hear that
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    http://running.competitor.com/2015/03/injury-prevention/10-exercises-to-treat-it-band-syndrome_125083

You may also find that self massage (foam roller or "the stick") helps. If it persists see a physiotherapist of massage therapist. I missed about 7 weeks of running a number of years ago trying to self-treat, when I broke down & saw a massage therapist (RMT who does sports treatments....not "relaxation " massage) she had me running again after a couple of sessions (be forewarned....deep tissue massage can be unpleasant but IMO completely worth the suffering) and I've been going regularly since.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I agree with the advice for using a foam roller on IT band injuries. It might hurt at first but it does break down the tight muscles.
  • ent3rsandman
    ent3rsandman Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Along with foam rolling and stretching (which don't really affect the IT band as MeanderingMammal pointed out, but rather the muscles that connect to it like the TFL), do something to strengthen up your hamstrings and glutes. In a lot of cases runners go from sedentary to running 5ks in a matter of a month without addressing any muscular imbalances. This is especially the case in people with anterior pelvic tilt.

You don't necessarily have to go to the gym to fix the problem; just start doing some straight-leg deadlifts with something that isn't incredibly heavy for you (a weighted backpack for example) along with some glute raises and lunges. Make sure to use those muscles when you're running as well; it's incredibly easy to have your form break down early on and shift into being quad dominant which might be a bit more comfortable.