Is weighing food really necessary?

Options
Has anyone lost weight without constantly weighing and measuring food? I started logging a month ago but my food diary is most likely wildly inaccurate. Obviously I'm eating less than I used to because I'm still losing weight but is it sustainable without weighing everything? I've read through a couple of discussions and I'm starting to feel like if I don't measure all my food I'm doomed for all eternity.
I'm 5'4 and 166 at the moment looking to get to 140. MFP has set me at 1200 to lose 2lbs a week but I eat a little more or less depending on how I feel that day.

Replies

• edlanglais5
    edlanglais5 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Only helps you to be more accurate. I’ve been losing without it but many poorl might cook from scratch more than I do. With me, it’s mostly sandwiches, fruits , smoothies, protein powder, almonds, healthy box dinners, and then some home cooked meals from time to time. I scan bar codes and measure how many servings (how many nuts, scoops). The biggest obstacle is homrcooked casserole dishes. I usually estimate my best. I may accidentally fall into maintenance calories on home cooked days but done gain either.

Honestly, it falls down to what works for the individual. Obvisiuky, if you’re not getting results without a scale, I would recommend purchasing one.
  • rebben23
    rebben23 Posts: 24 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Im also 5’4” and am currently at 138lbs (down from 163lbs in May). I do not weigh my food, but I’m getting the results I wanted (my goal was 140lbs, too). If I’m unsure of something, I look across MFP and select the choice that falls in the middle/higher end.

If I wasn’t seeing results after three weeks, then I would weigh/measure.

(I’ll also add -since our stats are similar- I average 1600 cals/day)
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    It depends.
    You can try estimating for a while and see how it works. If you don't lose weight, then you may have to start weighing your food.

I did not weigh my food and still lost weight I wanted to.....very sloooowly. I would have lost at a better pace if I was more accurate in my logging, but as long as I was losing, it didn't bother me how long it took.
  • karialiwest
    karialiwest Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think I might buy a scale and compare what I've been logging so far to see if there's really a huge difference.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,547 Member
    Options
    Necessary no.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • brittneyalley
    brittneyalley Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I've recently started weighing my food, and I'd recommend it. I underestimate certain things and overestimate others. It's helpful because I know how much I can actually eat without feeling guilty.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I lost all my weight without using a kitchen scale. I used measuring spoons, estimation and even generic entries. I didn't have much to lose (10 to 12lbs), I was not in a hurry and I was exercising, but not eating all of my exercise calories. Maybe that gave me a little bit of room to compensate for inaccuracies. Portion control and commitment were my everyday tools (still are).

I bought a kitchen scale when I switched to maintenance because I wanted to have control of my macros. Sometimes I wish I never had, because I am now a slave of the scale and sometimes a recent that. So I take scale and logging breaks (vacations, eating out, etc.) so I don't get overwhelmed.

My husband prepares breakfast in the morning and he doesn't weight or measure anything; so what I enter in my food diary is an estimation, but since his "recipes" are very consistent a have a pretty good idea of the portions. So far so good.

Just do what is best for you and what allows you to reach your goal. Some people can lose or maintain without measuring and/or strict logging, others can't lose even when they log and weight everything. We are all different.

• pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    I think I might buy a scale and compare what I've been logging so far to see if there's really a huge difference.

I think your gonna get a surprise when you see how much a serving really is.