Balancing Reality vs Expectations

Options
So I'm going to share this here because I need to have it out of my head but I am the type of person who does their does their best work when it's done in private. I figured this might be a safe place to share without the friends and family weighing in, so to speak.

Long story short, I'm a plus size lady and I have been for years, but I'm finally in a place in my life where I have time to learn about managing my medical conditions, nutrition, etc. and now for the first time i have a plan and I'm losing weight. I'm more organized and feel pretty accomplished - down 25lbs., down a dress size, I cook more and I've quit drinking alcohol regularly. I feel better than I have on years, but I'm a little bummed out that my progress isn't as obvious to the outside world.

I'm technically smaller, but still plus sized so I'm still the same lady with curves to everyone else, and I will be for a while. I shouldn't complain, I know, and I'm one of the lucky people who feel good in their own skin regardless of size, so really it should be a non problem. I'm proud of my progress and I know it will continue as long as I keep up with the new changes I've made in my life, but some days I get a little disheartened by the fact that I'm probably going to have to loose another 50 lbs. before the loss is really noticable.

I guess I'm a little jealous of the people who loss 15lb and it's like wow, good job! My vanity shows through a bit, lol, but balancing my expectations vs reality of what weigh loss looks like for me as a plus size person is something I have been struggling with and I figure I'm not alone in that. I also think that you can struggle with that even at straight sizes. Maybe this can be the place we can safely vent about it if nothing else. Get the negative feelings out of our heads to leave space for the positive.

Anyways, thanks

Replies

• Adamanda5
    Adamanda5 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your 25 pound loss!! Seeing ourselves change and getting positive reinforcement from others who see it is very motivating for sure! I can understand and relate to the disappointment of putting in the effort and being the only one to notice the difference. But if you stay patient and keep following your goals, it will come! Hang in there and keep reminding yourself of the progress you are making with your health. I highly recommend keeping a record of your NSVs (non-scale victories), whether in the threads here, or in a journal. It's been very encouraging for me, and sometimes reading about other people's NSVs can bring to light changes I missed!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss. You are a private person and don't want family and friends weighing in, which they are not doing. It is rare for others to say anything sooner than 25 lbs, you must have read 1 thread that said 15 lbs and it was probably on someone small where that would a huge change. I encourage you to take measurements and progress pics so you can track your progress. I bet if you posted pics in MFP you would get good feedback. Family, you and friends aren't too observant and many are reluctant to say anything directly especially if they are aware you don't want their opinions on your life. Just sayin.