Fitbit. Worth it or not?

Options
13»

Replies

• Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    For me. No. But i did shell out the bucks for a Fenix 5x. I need something that tracks swimming distance. I swim 4 miles every morning. None of the fitbits do this. The FB watches are too small and fragile.
    I can read the Fenix without my glasses. And it has topo maps for hiking too. This feature is important for ambulance win a habit of leaving the marked trails. Not that i do that.
    I couldn't care less about step tracking.
    You are either going to move or not.
    I've watched people pace back and forth in a hallway, taking tiny steps jyst to get their step count up. They clearly don't understand the concept of moving.

I have a Charge 2, I've only had it a week but I am enjoying it so far. It's kind of like I am having little competitions with myself, which is weirdly fun.

BUT - if I had known about the feature bolded above I would have mentioned the Fenix to my husband, rather than Fitbit. Heh... my husband wanted to get me a Satphone for when I go hiking due to my loathing of the beaten path. Seriously. I think once the Charge poops out, I'm going to need one of these. How cool!

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I adore my fitbit. I am definitely lazier with out it, hands down.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I'll be an odd man out...personally, I've never seen the point. The data a fitbit or similar would give me isn't really going to tell me anything I don't already know. I know if I've had an active day or not...knowing the exact number of steps isn't of any real importance to me and in five years here, I've never counted steps.

I think the sleep tracking bit is a sham also...
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Kadoober wrote: »
    BUT - if I had known about the feature bolded above I would have mentioned the Fenix to my husband, rather than Fitbit. Heh... my husband wanted to get me a Satphone for when I go hiking due to my loathing of the beaten path.

I, too, am fond of hiking and not keeping track of where I'm going. I installed the Endomondo app to track my trail. It records my route, so when I look up and realize I don't know where I am, which happens a lot, I look at the map of my route and head back toward my starting point (my car). It's free to install and use, which will get you duration, distance, speed, estimated calories burned, and your mapped route. You can upgrade to a premium version, but I have no idea what that includes.
  • Raven_Hawk
    Raven_Hawk Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Charge 2 and I love it. For me it is a constant reminder that moving is a good thing. Love pawing over my reports to see what I have achieved.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Perhaps if you're already active on a regular basis or primarily do exercise that is not step-based (swimming, cycling) you won't see the point of it. When I first started with MFP I was only sporadically active so I found it helped me form the habit of moving more. Here's why I love my fitbit:

1) It helps you see how everyday movement can add up and motivates you to do a little (or a lot) more instead of sitting around.
    2) You can get as much or as little feedback as you want throughout the day. It's adjustable to your needs. How many products can you say that about?
    3) You can set your own goals for incremental improvement and see on a daily basis when you are falling short of your goals. It doesn't really matter what other people are doing when you first start because you're just happy to be moving more, but after a while it's fun to compete with family and friends.
    4) I set mine up to make negative adjustments to my daily goal on MFP so if I have a day where I sit around too much I will see my calories disappearing before my eyes. That is very motivating to me!
    5) I'm not good at telling myself I'm doing a good job on a daily basis. My fitbit is. That little celebration buzz you get when you reach your goal is pretty fabulous.

I currently have an Alta, but I've had a zip, a One and a flex. I was sorry to lose the altimeter function (counts flights of stairs) with the Alta, but I do like the smaller profile on my wrist. I would probably get the Charge 2 if I had larger wrists. My husband loves his.
  • litoria
    litoria Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I have a charge 2 and for me it has been illuminating - prior to getting it, I thought I was eating enough (according to MFP), but would binge eat every now and then. Turns out I wasn't eating nearly enough...since having the fitbit, I've been using the calorie estimate as a guide, eating more and not binging, but losing weight sustainably. It's been a real game changer for me