Let it GO! Decluttering (simplifying) your life of (people, places or things) success stories?

Replies

• New2ket0
    New2ket0 Posts: 345 Member
    I tried this with objects and then people, it did make my life so much easier but some people I need to have back in my life they were always on my mind anyway I missed them
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    snoo61 wrote: »
    Decluttered my clothing in all the drawers and closet of bedroom. Made a mountain of donations. This morning, I woke up, and I opened all the drawers to admire them. Everything was folded neatly and in order. I'll keep going ... not to part of the basement.

I did the same thing in April. Now i keep a garbage bag in my laundry basket. When I fold something I don't like, or doesn't fit, it goes in the bag. When the bag is full, time to donate. Helps me stay on top of it. :)

BOOM! This is/will be a big ole new weapon in my arsenal of tools to destroy excess, subtle(clutter can and will "sneak" up on us) and mess/"STUFF". I've never thought of this and thank you ever so much for posting this...I LOVE this!

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    edited July 2018
    New2ket0 wrote: »
    I tried this with objects and then people, it did make my life so much easier but some people I need to have back in my life they were always on my mind anyway I missed them

{{{{ Hugs }}}} I totally know and "feel" you on this. ONLY you know what's best for you. For me, what I discovered is I would "fantasize/imagine" about what "I" wanted to believe about these folks. It wasn't true and keeping toxic people in my heart, mind and life would only hurt me, because I wasn't dealing with/seeing/believing the "reality" about said person, just my unreality/imagination/expectation/hope in and of them (which made for "crazy-making" mess), which is CRAZY-MAKING for/to me...and also made me to live in a delusion/a lie (which again, was/is crazy-making for me). Again, EVERYONE is different and there is no one answer fits all in this extremely important and serious matter of the heart/mind/life, period. The very best to you and yours now and forevermore
    {{{ o:) Hugs again o:) }}}
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,155 Member
    snoo61 wrote: »
    Decluttered my clothing in all the drawers and closet of bedroom. Made a mountain of donations. This morning, I woke up, and I opened all the drawers to admire them. Everything was folded neatly and in order. I'll keep going ... not to part of the basement.

I did the same thing in April. Now i keep a garbage bag in my laundry basket. When I fold something I don't like, or doesn't fit, it goes in the bag. When the bag is full, time to donate. Helps me stay on top of it. :)

Great idea!!!
  • New2ket0
    New2ket0 Posts: 345 Member

{{{{ Hugs }}}} I totally know and "feel" you on this. ONLY you know what's best for you. For me, what I discovered is I would "fantasize/imagine" about what "I" wanted to believe about these folks. It wasn't true and keeping toxic people in my heart, mind and life would only hurt me, because I wasn't dealing with/seeing/believing the "reality" about said person, just my unreality/imagination/expectation/hope in and of them (which made for "crazy-making" mess), which is CRAZY-MAKING for/to me...and also made me to live in a delusion/a lie (which again, was/is crazy-making for me). Again, EVERYONE is different and there is no one answer fits all in this extremely important and serious matter of the heart/mind/life, period. The very best to you and yours now and forevermore

I’m afraid it broke me in the end and I found forgiving them and accepting them back into my life helped me heal .
    I hope you find your way too huge hugs to you too x
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    hesn92 wrote: »
    How do you all handle it when you want to be minimalist but your spouse doesn't? My husband accumulates things like crazy. I pick up the house but then the shelf/dresser top/counters etc. just fill up with things.

Man oh man, for me (everyone is different) I HAD TO humble myself, take the beam outta my own eye, so that I could see clearly how to remove the speck out of the "offenders" eye. In other words, I had to humble myself, work on my own issues first. I personally used the excuse of what someone else was doing wrong, in order to continue in my mess and contently sitting in that mess to boot blaming them for all my mess, when the truth is--I was lazy and angry and again used that as an excuse NOT to do the right thing and more important with the right "spirit"/attitude--UGH. So, once I made up in my heart and mind to do the right thing and keep on doing it no matter what...for The Glory of God and my good--BOOM! Something happened. I started judging myself just as harshly as I was judging others and BAM! Mercy came I started taking the focus off of them and onto me and my mess and wow---things started changing. I was no longer bitter/morose/nasty attitude--instead a JOY came over me and a LOVE for living in spacious, clean, clutter free YUM!

Long-story short, forsake anger and wrath (cause it aint going to help you one wit). Put on mercy/understanding and do it (MAKE YOURSELF) do it in LOVE, POWER and a SOUND MIND (meaning joy, peace, whatevah I'm doing this for me and the family, so I might as well do my best and at the very least, count it as a few calories being burned while I'm at it.) Take that approach and watch what happens. Remember "they" say "Rome wasn't built in a day" so it may take some time OR maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised when they see you cleaning and tidying with love and joy and even delight...they may change quicker than you may think (MAYBE).

{{{{ o:) Hugs and Emphasizing with you o:) }}}}}}
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME

I’m afraid it broke me in the end and I found forgiving them and accepting them back into my life helped me heal .
    I hope you find your way too huge hugs to you too x

You're a darling, period. The people in your life are BLESSED to have you! Ya know, this being "broken" is totally underrated. I literally thank God for allowing me to be "broken" in more areas of my life than I can to count. Before I was "broken" I was a mess (inside and out), once I was "broken" (which I call humbled), wow...it's like my eyes were opened and I started running after change like never before. I think that's what the "count it ALL joy" is all about.

Anyway, I'm so GLAD you've rediscovered help/healing in this area. Personally, I'm so GLAD these folk are outta my life I could SCREAM with joy and delight and RELIEF! I have nothing but love for these folks. I don't wish them ANY harm and as a matter of fact I wish them nothing but the best life has to offer (just away from me). I look at the yuck as ME, not "necessarily" them. I don't have to like everyone, but love everyone and sometimes love, REAL love mean letting go of a relationship that inspires/encourages/promotes all kinds of yuck in and around me. That's my take on it. Again YAY you, you beautiful person for posting here and encouraging and helping me and many others too!

{{{{ Hugs once more }}}}}
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    How do you all handle it when you want to be minimalist but your spouse doesn't? My husband accumulates things like crazy. I pick up the house but then the shelf/dresser top/counters etc. just fill up with things.

My husband and I had a discussion and came to an agreement. He doesn't get to buy any new "stuff" unless he can come up with a place for it to go without expanding into my space. So, for example, he collects model airplanes, but his shelves are full and they were threatening to take over the top of the piano, so he isn't buying any until he redoes the cabinets so there is a nice enclosed display for them. Knowing he can't get new airplanes without redoing the cabinets is also motivating him to redo the cabinets.

On the other side of the equation, I don't get to buy new kitchen gadgets or dishes unless I figure out where they live in the kitchen. I wanted a new set of bowls for Asian food, so I gave away some older stuff that we have had forever that never really did like, we bought it because it was inexpensive and we needed dishes when we got married. Hopefully some new couple getting married will get a good deal on it.

Of course, this presupposes your husband will agree that neat is better than messy, come to an agreement, and keep his promises. If he just insists on being messy in your clean space, setting anything left in the wrong place on his side of the bed works.

What a tremendous, fabulous and inspiration post--you ROCK, period. Thanks so much for contributing here--WOW and YAY!
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Liberating isn't it?: <3
  • snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    edited July 2018

My husband is like this too. If its things that don't belong in the house, he has the choice between putting it in his shop or the trash. If its things he just didn't put away, they go on his chair. If its a hoarder thing, shop or trash. I'm still working on him lol.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!