So I was messing up

I first must say I am not advocating unhealthy lifestyle, I was a bit confused and uneducated. Now that's out the way I was on a 1000 calorie count (not really intentional) I am now going to try better to reach the 1200 calories or over, now I am kind of worried Incase I will put weight on as a result of being on the 1000 calories? Am I being worried for nothing?

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    You will gain weight if you are consuming over maintenance calories.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Unless you are very tiny or have some type of metabolic problem that causes an unusually low BMR you are unlikely to gain weight on 1200 calories per day. You should still be in a calorie deficit on that amount.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    I don't think you have anything to worry about at all.
    Just be sure that your logging is accurate. I highly doubt that 1200 calories is above maintenance for you.
  • ClockWorKitten
    ClockWorKitten Posts: 55 Member
    I am very overwight and I feel quite confused.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,727 Member
    Step one: Log accurately. Weigh everything. Use accurate entries(or create your own)
    Step two: Accurately account for your activity.
    Step four: Lose weight and stay healthy.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    I am very overwight and I feel quite confused.

Just put your info into the MFP app honestly and follow what it says. If you did not account for exercise in your daily activity, then log your exercise and eat some or all of the extra calories it gives you (some choose not to eat all of their exercise calories to account for estimation errors).

What you eat is really up to you. As long as you are within your calorie goals you should lose fat.
  • r3488
    r3488 Posts: 77 Member
    Based on my personal experience, I think you'll be okay. When I first started the diet my doctor recommended last December, I also was eating between 1000 and 1200 calories a day because the food I was eating actually filled me up. After reading here on mfp about minimum for women being 1200 calories a day, I immediately made sure that I started eating at least that many calories per day. While my weight loss slowed down, it hasn't stopped. I'm a 51 yo female that's 5'1". Starting weight: 251 (12/20/2016), current weight: 187 (this am), goal weight: 125.
  • ClockWorKitten
    ClockWorKitten Posts: 55 Member
    Thank last two replays helped a lot.
  • bribucks
    bribucks Posts: 431 Member
    I also started out way low on calories when I began a little over a year ago at 256lbs. I wasn't weighing or measuring yet, and was drastically under eating (probably fewer than 1000 calories per day). Then I poked my head over into the forums here, and read all the sticky threads at the top of Getting Started forum and it just kind of clicked. I used the MFP tool to figure out my calories and ended up with something like 1290 to lose 2lbs per week. I wasn't always the best about eating my exercise calories (I only walked at that point), so I still probably netted under 1200 most days for a while. Then a few months in, my hair started falling out and I felt terrible. I had lost about 50lbs at that point, so it didn't make a lot of sense why I didn't feel awesome! Turned out the under eating had given me quite the Vitamin D deficiency. I got it straightened out with RX VD supplements and changed my calorie goals closer to 1500. I began feeling better and actually lost weight at about the same rate.

So my advice: If you are very overweight (85lbs+ ish), don't torture yourself with the stupid 1200 calories. Set your loss rate to something like 1lb per week and enjoy those calories. Weigh and measure your foods accurately and develop the habit of managing your intake. It's possible if you are very over weight, you might even exceed the 1lb per week rate, especially if you are exercising. If you are exercising, play with those extra calories and see how many of them you can eat and still lose. A lot of people eat half, which, even getting an extra 100-200 calories a day can be a lot. That's a frozen treat at the end of the day or a bigger piece of meat or more rice/potato!

Eating fewer than 1200 calories will make this all WAY harder on your body and brain than it needs to be. All you need is the resolve to eat within a reasonable calorie deficit and the discipline to stick with it. The weight WILL come off.

I've been at it a little more than a year, and I'm just shy of my goal weight. I eat PLENTY of food and still lose. I'm in the best shape of my adult life. It's hard work, but it feels great!

Vitamin D deficiencies are no fun! I have one too, though I think mine has more to do with living in Ohio than undereating. :neutral:
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Clockwork Kitten. Suggest you increase your cals by 100 a day for two weeks and see how that goes. Increase in small amounts until you are maintaining. Then cut. Most people, unless they are tiny, will lose weight at 1500 a day and, with exercise you can eat more. If you can get used to this it will by MUCH easier to maintain longterm. Good luck!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    cathipa wrote: »
    You will gain weight if you are consuming over maintenance calories.

not true... you can gain scale weight for various reasons thought water retention from excess carbs/sodium/hormones etc. its not fat though and understanding that distinction is important.