Christmas!

Options
What does everyone do during the christmas period? On boxing day and christmas day do people eat lots and forget about their summer body for those days?? Or should i restrict what i eat and still count calories ??

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    What does everyone do during the christmas period? On boxing day and christmas day do people eat lots and forget about their summer body for those days?? Or should i restrict what i eat and still count calories ??

It's up to you. Weight management is 365 days a year. Why not just eat at maintenance on Christmas day?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I eat and drink what ever I like Christmas week, then Jan 1st get back to eating at just under maintenance.

That covers work Christmas party, Christmas day, and 2x family get togethers.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

My thoughts have always been that a handful of holidays and special occasions are just that...they're occasions...they aren't really material to the bigger picture of what I'm doing and have been doing for years.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I give myself Christmas day, usually one other day and maybe new year's of no logging. Over the rest of Christmas week, maybe a bit more, I eat at maintenance and use it as a planned diet break. January 1st back to deficit. Though I'm hoping this is the last year I have to think about deficits!
  • brittneyalley
    brittneyalley Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    We don't really go all out for Christmas (mainly just thanksgiving). Either way, both days I still log everything and stay under maintenance. I typically eat 1200/day but on thanksgiving I ate ~1450 I believe. I'll probably do the same for Christmas.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I build my summer body in the winter.. so I eat all the things ;) . I suppose if I was trying to lose I would still eat all the things but maybe calorie bank, eat light during the day etc to save for those days where I eat extra. Even if I ate at maintenance for two weeks I would get back to it after, no problem.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    On Christmas and Christmas Eve dinner I normally eat whatever I want. Boxing Day isn't really a big eating day in the US (or if so I've missed out).

I think weight gain during the holidays is all the days between Thanksgiving (in the US) and New Years, not the holidays themselves.
  • Blythmag
    Blythmag Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I refuse to be so tough on myself at xmas.

Xmas day and one or two other days i eat like a king, then back on it Jan 2nd till i reach my 12 stone target next year, i had my first party Saturday and im learning to save up calories and then recover a few if i have to have a bad day, however im gonna bloody enjoy myself at xmas time.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Diet break the week leading into Christmas through the 26th. Back to work on the 27th. I’ll also likely go over on the 5th (my mom’s birthday) and NYE (we make nachos to celebrate).
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Half the people in my family were born in December so multiple birthday dinners plus holiday lunches. I generally manage to stay within my weekly calories when it's just one meal. I don't log for Christmas day but I found on thanksgiving i ate what I wanted and still ended up with maintenance calories for the week (according to the scale) so I expect Christmas will turn out the same way. Hopefully :)
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

I go somewhere in between. I eat what I want, but listen to my hunger cues so don't eat to excess that badly or eat food just because it is there. I experience a temporary increase in scale weight and it disappears within a few weeks.

Oh - and I am one who was born in December - New Year's Eve baby =)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I can't figure out if I'm done losing or not, but for the last several years I switch to maintenance calories from Dec 15 to Jan 15. And I don't worry about calories on Christmas and New Years, but I do log after the fact, what I can remember, out of curiosity sake. Two days aren't going to ruin your summer body, it's the 350 or so regular days that will make or break you :drinker:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I go somewhere in between. I eat what I want, but listen to my hunger cues so don't eat to excess that badly or eat food just because it is there. I experience a temporary increase in scale weight and it disappears within a few weeks.

Oh - and I am one who was born in December - New Year's Eve baby =)

12/7 here. ;-)
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I am going to log, but guess portions instead of weighing at dinner. I made a request that any candy be small individually wrapped (from Santa or my wife and kids). I am not planning to deny myself anything, but I will not let myself exhibit any binge behavior (some ED history).
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, birthday mid-January. I'll have it then too but not too much of an issue because people suddenly disappear around my birthday. Partied and monied out by the time 19th January hits!
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    I intend to log and treat all the holidays like any other day (I don't like or really enjoy them to begin with) and did fairly well with this approach for Thanksgiving, largely aided by the 10K I ran that morning. However, Christmas will be more difficult as my wife and I will be traveling to spend 12/23-27 with my extended family and then have other holiday nonsense with her family before we leave and/or when we get back. With the exception of not being at work I don't really look forward to holidays to begin with, but this year I'm really dreading Christmas independent of the fitness/nutrition ramifications.

My wife isn't going to be happy when I pack our bathroom scale, food scale, and protein powder.
  • msmarievt
    msmarievt Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I normally eat like a pig so I'm super uncomfortable. Then I remember how horrible the feeling is which drives me to not eat so much the following day.
    I figure one day will not kill me, so long as I don't turn that day into a habit.