Exercising In Cars/On Planes

Options
This may seem silly, and I apologize for that, but I am often in a position where I'm spending 10+ hours in a vehicle or on an airplane.

IS there a form of cardio I can do while confined in such close quarters?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• eeyore9990
    eeyore9990 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I hope you're not doing cardio while driving.

LOL, no. Just a passenger!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Maybe one of those desk cycles would work in a car.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    On a 14 hour trip from Los Angeles to Sydney, I walked along the aisles a few times. Also saw other passengers doing stretching exercises at the back of the plane.

In a car this is not going to work!!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    On long car trips, I just try to take full advantage of stops. Walk or run some laps around the rest area, do some stretches. In airports I walk laps whenever I have a layover and avoid just sitting at the gate.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I choose to drive, train and subway twice to get my six miles in daily, rather than just sitting on the bus. Consequently I have fabulous biceps and deltoids, and avoid the bronchial infections the disesel fumes give me.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Purposeful fidgeting is all I can think of for car rides, this increases your NEAT (non exercise activity) and still burns calories. Plan walks at rest stops, etc.

The walking up and down isles in a plane works unless you are confined to your seat belt.

Usually the only exercise I can do is for my brain through reading and playing mobile games.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Hyperventilate maybe? Does that count as cardio?

I'd go nuts if my passengers tried to do cardio while I drove.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I'd say you don't have to be exercising all of the time. I have a 30 hour travel coming up and I won't be exercising other than to get up and stretch my legs on the plane a bit and stretch. I'll be able to workout later when I get to my destination.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Not cardio, but you could work on your core doing isometric exercises like lifting both feet off the floor, contracting your abs, or flexing your glutes. maybe get one of those rubbery resistance balls and squeeze it. You could probably figure out something with exercise bands too. They're cheap, light, and easy to take along.

That's the route I'd take.
  • mengqiz86
    mengqiz86 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I recently discovered on a 13 hr flight that you can easily do 10-15 minutes of Barre workout on a plane.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    mengqiz86 wrote: »
    I recently discovered on a 13 hr flight that you can easily do 10-15 minutes of Barre workout on a plane.

I’m sure if all 150 passengers tried to do the same thing, it would be quite the experience.