Should I leave Weight Watchers back to MFP?

Options
2»

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I follow WW plan for structure. Without it I would eat at bodegas and Dunkin Donuts all day everyday and I have health issues that prohibit that, even though many MFP members say "as long as you have calories go right ahead!" I don't attend meetings because I have had too many bad experiences with leaders and receptionists. I am a free Lifetime member so I just weigh in once a month and leave. I have a great support group from friends here and on Connect that I keep in touch with regularly.

I double track on WW app and here because zero is not free. I like to see nutrients and calories for health management and because I'm a numbers geek at times.

I get the best of both worlds doing what I do and I've lost weight with both approaches, mostly WW because I've been on it longest. It all comes down to doing what feels right for you. As for the food list, you don't have to eat just those foods. I don't. I ate Chinese food on Day One of the new program and a bagel with cheese yesterday. It's just a matter of working it in. I'm pretty sure there are foods on the list that you may like also.

People say to eat based on calories only "if you don't have any medical reasons that prohibit you from eating that food". Although I don't completely agree with some people's free-for-all approach to food, I have NEVER seen anyone suggest that you should eat food prohibited for medical reasons.

I have seen plenty of people question member's food choices. And even after explaining justifiable medical reasons (aside from anything life threatening) seen it get shot down as woo.

I've never seen anyone encouraged to eat anything they've got a medical reason to avoid or to eat unrestricted amounts of anything they have a medical reason to limit.

Know that if you do see that and challenge the person who is encouraging dangerous behavior, you will have the support of most users here. People here are overall very reasonable and understand that people with certain medical conditions have to eliminate or restrict some foods that are perfectly fine for other people.
  • jenc78
    jenc78 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I’ve done WW for 10ish years, gaining with pregnancy and then losing again. I achieved lifetime before kids and after the first kiddo was born. After my 2nd was born I lost steadily, 35 lb, and then they rolled out Smart Points. I have plateaued the entire time of smart points, but I stayed with them. I always wondered if my caloric intake was too low, so in the last 2wks I switched back to MFP. When I entered what I was eating with WW I was only consuming 1000-1100 cal/day. My WW doesn’t roll over to the new plan until Saturday, but I’m concerned I won’t lose on that. I was going to do both simultaneously to see how it goes and then decide after that. You are not alone!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    doesn't your health insurance pay for it or most of it?
  • sadiepie10
    sadiepie10 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    jenc78 wrote: »
    I’ve done WW for 10ish years, gaining with pregnancy and then losing again. I achieved lifetime before kids and after the first kiddo was born. After my 2nd was born I lost steadily, 35 lb, and then they rolled out Smart Points. I have plateaued the entire time of smart points, but I stayed with them. I always wondered if my caloric intake was too low, so in the last 2wks I switched back to MFP. When I entered what I was eating with WW I was only consuming 1000-1100 cal/day. My WW doesn’t roll over to the new plan until Saturday, but I’m concerned I won’t lose on that. I was going to do both simultaneously to see how it goes and then decide after that. You are not alone![/quote

Your story is my story! My plan doesn’t start till Saturday either.
  • iosephdion
    iosephdion Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    WW new 0 point meals don't make much sense to me, that's why I left.
  • NoxeemaJackson
    NoxeemaJackson Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I did ww and jumped ship to mfp.

1. I think calorie counting is easier than WW. Many moons ago, before the interwebz, calorie counting was much more of a slog, so reducing foods to a points value was easier. I think calorie counting is now easier. I can look up the calories for almost anything quickly, but to convert to WW points is an additional calculation.

2. If you want support, there are lots of challenge boards here, and I have read those and they seem to be very supportive!! I know the main boards can be a bit off, but in smaller groups, people seem much kinder! Perhaps that's for you!

3. If you leave ww, they'll always take you back.

4. I get to eat more food on mfp - a bit of cake doesn't destroy my calories for the day. And the idea that some foods "don't count" because they think people can't get fat off healthy food. HAHAHAHA! They've never met MEEE!!

5. mfp is more flexible - there ARE days (not often, but they're there) that I just eat junk. It happens. And it can happen and I can STILL be in calorie goal - I'm not perfect, and I think mfp calorie counting better accounts for that.

best of luck!

• gooz71
    gooz71 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU all so much for your replies and help!