How long to wait for a run after eating?

Options
Silly question I know but had plans change and had a big meal . Is it hour or so enough to wait before going for a run ?
I started training for 10k but I'm still very much a begginer .

I'm not talking about working out in fasted state or whatever just how long should I wait so I don't get sick lol.

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    It's completely individual. I don't like to eat before a run unless it's a long run, other people I run with eat a small snack then run 15 minutes later (we are early morning runners). My husband can eat an entire meal and then go for a run with no problems. You just kind of have to try it and find out.
  • BeYouTiful94
    BeYouTiful94 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I imagine this depends on the person. I can’t have eaten at all, so I would tell you something ridiculous. Others can have just eaten and be fine. Google suggests 30 mins - 4 hours, which is quite the range. Although, the 30 mins seems to universally represent the “small snack” category
  • runheatherpsu
    runheatherpsu Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what works for your body. Usually, I can't eat anything before I run and do it first thing in the morning. But lately, I've had to run in the afternoons and have found I can do it after having something to eat with no issues. I used to get horribly sick if I ate and ran, so it really depends on what works for you.
  • hist_doc
    hist_doc Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    How long is a piece of string? How long is your piece of string? It's probably different to the length of my piece of string.

ˆthis
    I need to wait at least 2 hours to allow my food to digest even a small snack before running.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I mean people running ultramarathons and to a lesser extent marathons are eating a variety of solid foods while they race over hours and hours. Outside of any GI issues you may have personally there isn't a reason any meal timing relative to running should make you sick.

That being said sometimes endurance work can make you puke and it is what it is. I threw up hard at a marathon in August after subluxing my knee and a couple of times at a 50 miler in October. Sometimes puke happens :/
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    This is individual preference. I started running very early a.m. when I first started running, now I am conditioned to not eat before my morning runs even at longer runs past 10K distances.

...that said everyone must be safe in their approach to how they workout and exercise, therefore listen to your body's signals and workout in the best conditions that suit you.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    It depends on how you feel. I can do a light snack, and head out within an hour -- but I'm talking super light, and short distances. Anything longer than a few miles, and I need a two-hour wait unless I want to be in GI distress.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I can eat a large meal (burrito bowl, burger, sausage biscuit etc...) and run less than an hour afterwards without nausea or vomiting, but a common side stitch/side/neck pain which I don't have when I run fasted.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Totally personal preference.

Go for your run--see how it feels. Next time you will know your preference.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Silly question I know but had plans change and had a big meal . Is it hour or so enough to wait before going for a run ?
    I started training for 10k but I'm still very much a begginer .

I'm not talking about working out in fasted state or whatever just how long should I wait so I don't get sick lol.

from experience i cant run after a big meal, makes me feel sick. i went out for lunch and had a main and dessert at 12.30. went for a run at 5pm after work, walked half of it as it make me feel like i was going to see the chocolate brownie again!

On a morning i either run fasted if its below 3 miles or an hour after breakfast for longer - and breakfast is a bowl of cereal.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    For me, at least an hour, but 2 ideally.

It also depends what I had to eat. Some things are easier to digest than others. If I ate a nice plate of scrambled eggs and spicy salsa I would likely be uncomfortable running in a way that I wouldn't be with a yogurt protein smoothie in my belly.
  • passenger79
    passenger79 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I'm going in wish me luck ! I got sweet potato and chickpea curry in a slow cooker for later I need to get some exercise in and extra calories lol. Thanks everyone for tips .
  • Mrs181
    Mrs181 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I usually eat an Rx Bar or something similar like two hours prior to my run and then an oatmeal squeeze pack immediately before. It works for me, it doesn't work for some people. You'll have to figure it out.