Protein cookie...save your $

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Chips Ahoy? EWWWW. I'd take L&L (which I really don't care much for except for a couple flavors) any day over Chip Ahoy, even if they had no protein...

That being said, 13g of protein IS pretty significant. But I don't find them filling one bit (most 'protein' version of regular foods are just not more filling to me).

13 g seems pretty low for 400 cal. To compare, I think Kind bars aren't a very good source of protein (I sometimes eat them when traveling as they are at every airport I've been to and I prefer them to protein bars), and 2 of the peanut butter dark chocolate ones (which is about 400 cal) is something like 16 g of protein.

Anyway, never had a L&L, so no opinion on how it tastes.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I'm surprised by how high the carbs are. I'm diabetic, and I can just about manage 50g of carb at a time, but not 70 - How did they manage this? When you add the three macros it comes to 77.5g for the Chips Ahoy and almost a hundred for the L&L. Usually high protein products are a little lower carb because some of the carbs have been replaced by protein, but not in this case.

Yeah, now that you point it out I see that too. Some of the carbs must be fiber, which is not included 100% in the cal count, or it would be way over 400 cal.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Not that it really matters, but is that the macros for an older L&L, or the new formula?
    I heard they recently changed the ingredients and the macros (probably because they didn't actually have the macros they previously claimed..?) and they're not as good now.
    I used to really enjoy the birthday cake ones and the double chocolate, but the last box I bought were dry and gross so I threw them away.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I'm surprised by how high the carbs are. I'm diabetic, and I can just about manage 50g of carb at a time, but not 70 - How did they manage this? When you add the three macros it comes to 77.5g for the Chips Ahoy and almost a hundred for the L&L. Usually high protein products are a little lower carb because some of the carbs have been replaced by protein, but not in this case.

Yeah, now that you point it out I see that too. Some of the carbs must be fiber, which is not included 100% in the cal count, or it would be way over 400 cal.

I think the carb count in the Op must be for a specific flavor? Most of the L&L cookies I’ve had were ~50-55g carbs of which 8-10g is fiber. And the reason the carb count is so much higher compared to most protein bars/brownies/cookies/goodies is because they use actual sugar (vs sugar substitutes which is the norm). The additional protein and fiber makes them marginally less “bad” than chips ahoy. They are an awful lot of calories for not a lot of protein (or anything of real value), but if you need something that hits those markers, or you are looking for a vegan option, they are palatable.
  • lemurcat12
    edited December 2017
    Options

I think the carb count in the Op must be for a specific flavor? Most of the L&L cookies I’ve had were ~50-55g carbs of which 8-10g is fiber. And the reason the carb count is so much higher compared to most protein bars/brownies/cookies/goodies is because they use actual sugar (vs sugar substitutes which is the norm). The additional protein and fiber makes them marginally less “bad” than chips ahoy. They are an awful lot of calories for not a lot of protein (or anything of real value), but if you need something that hits those markers, or you are looking for a vegan option, they are palatable.

Her point was that the numbers didn't add up to the calorie numbers (which is because of the fiber), not that they were low carb compared with a 400 cal cookie (which they aren't).

Here's a 410 cal cookie (from Potbelly's): 60 g carbs, 17 g fat, 6 g protein.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

Her point was that the numbers didn't add up to the calorie numbers (which is because of the fiber), not that they were low carb compared with a 400 cal cookie (which they aren't).

Right. I was responding more to the “usually the higher protein is a little lower carb...” part of the post. Or trying, but not well I guess.

L&L numbers are very much in line with a normal cookie (with a little extra protein and fiber). Most protein products (bars/cookies/muffins/etc) do have lower carb counts because they use fake sugars. So compared to a cookie-they are normal. Compared to a protein product-the carbs are high. I think I’m still not explaining well.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Right. I was responding more to the “usually the higher protein is a little lower carb...” part of the post. Or trying, but not well I guess.

L&L numbers are very much in line with a normal cookie (with a little extra protein and fiber). Most protein products (bars/cookies/muffins/etc) do have lower carb counts because they use fake sugars. So compared to a cookie-they are normal. Compared to a protein product-the carbs are high. I think I’m still not explaining well.

I think you are explaining fine, and I get what you mean (comparing to a Quest bar or some such). I just don't think that's what the other poster was talking about, I think she meant that for the calories and the protein, the carb numbers seemed high, which is true because if you add up the protein, carb, and fat numbers the calorie amount seems like it should be more than 400. The reason it is not is that for the fiber grams you don't have to add in the full 4 cal/gram, and a number (10 g) of the carb grams were fiber.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    (400 cal of Quest bars would have about 40 g protein, though.)
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Dude, WTF... chips ahoy? That's cardboard parading around as a cookie. The protein cookie probably tastes BETTER than a chips ahoy. At least make the comparison to Famous Amos!

Haha, you're right! I'm just not a cookie person either way. But Famous Amos are definitely better...I just chose the first that came to mind.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options

You are right. The best vegan option is out there is an Oreo. Which is so much better than Chips Ahoy.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Dude, WTF... chips ahoy? That's cardboard parading around as a cookie. The protein cookie probably tastes BETTER than a chips ahoy. At least make the comparison to Famous Amos!

ditto. I prefer soft chewy cookies, with the exception of some of the almondy ones or spritzes - if I spend 400 calories on chocolate chip cookies, they sure as hell aren't going to be the rock-hard Chips Ahoy.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    L and L have 16g protein not 13 like some were saying.
    Not that it really matters, but is that the macros for an older L&L, or the new formula?
    I heard they recently changed the ingredients and the macros (probably because they didn't actually have the macros they previously claimed..?) and they're not as good now.
    I used to really enjoy the birthday cake ones and the double chocolate, but the last box I bought were dry and gross so I threw them away.

I love the new formula cinnamon snickerdoodle WAY more cinnamon sugar now. I didn't like them that much before but the new formula mini ones are only 170 calories 8g protein and warm up for 20 seconds in microwave and DELICIOUS. Better than fresh baked snickerdoodle cookies. I love how much cinnamon sugar they have now.
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I often find that I'm disappointed in "protein treats". I'd rather hit my protein goal with my meals and maybe a protein shake. If I want a treat I find a way to fit it in.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Personally I’ve become addicted to the Optimum Nutrition Birthday Cake Cake Bites.

• Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Personally I’ve become addicted to the Optimum Nutrition Birthday Cake Cake Bites.

really?? i thought they looked so good in the packaging and was really disappointed when I tried them!!
  • MsHarryWinston
    Options

really?? i thought they looked so good in the packaging and was really disappointed when I tried them!!

ABSOLUTELY love them. I thought Red Velvet and... dang, now I forget the other flavor I tried, were just ok. But I think the Birthday Cake are delicious. They are my favorite store bought protein snack/dessert.

Now above all things I prefer my homemade protein bars (so much yummy cocoa and honey). But I don’t always feel like baking.
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    Options

I've been wanting to try them. Where do you buy yours?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Ditto lol. I've given up on all that 'protein' stuff honestly. I mean, sure, when I started MFP and was depriving myself of the good stuff, it tasted good enough. Now that I've gone back to the real stuff... I just can't. If it was filling at least, that would be a good trade off, but nope. I'll stick to the good stuff in moderation and get my protein elsewhere (much better for my bank account anyway).
  • MsHarryWinston
    Options
    Owlie45 wrote: »

I've been wanting to try them. Where do you buy yours?

I buy mine at bodybuilding.com
    So far they have had the best price, even with shipping.