Calories

Hi there!
I have a quick question about calories.
I’m currently 1.70 m and 52 kg, but am still unsure about the amount of calories I should eat. I workout anywhere between 2-4 times a week and bike and walk everyday (15 minute bike ride to school, I average 7000 steps daily)
Currently, I’m looking to change my body composition and get stronger, so I always incorporate strength routines into my workouts.
I usually eat around 2200 calories a day, but feel like this is a bit much. What do you guys think?

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,733 Member
    What does mfp say? Put your stats in and see what the calculator says you need to maintain your weight. Also, are you gaining weight or losing? No matter what the calculator says, you need to weigh regularly to see what your body actually requires. I burn more calories than I expected, so needed to adjust my daily goal.
  • CapsLocker
    CapsLocker Posts: 11 Member
    @spiriteagle99 I find that the MFP numbers aren’t really accurate, they give me a lower result but I’d be super hungry eating that and probably lose weight. I think I’m maintaining, but do not weight often enough to be sure.

@kommodevaran according to bmi, my weight might be a bit low, but I’m feeling healthy and good, which I find more important than bmi

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    CapsLocker wrote: »
    Hi there!
    I’m currently 1.70 m and 52 kg, but am still unsure about the amount of calories I should eat. I workout anywhere between 2-4 times a week and bike and walk everyday (15 minute bike ride to school, I average 7000 steps daily)
    Currently, I’m looking to change my body composition and get stronger, so I always incorporate strength routines into my workouts.
    I usually eat around 2200 calories a day, but feel like this is a bit much. What do you guys think?

What is your weight doing when you eat 2200?
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    @spiriteagle99 I find that the MFP numbers aren’t really accurate, they give me a lower result but I’d be super hungry eating that and probably lose weight. I think I’m maintaining, but do not weight often enough to be sure.

@kommodevaran according to bmi, my weight might be a bit low, but I’m feeling healthy and good, which I find more important than bmi

So you don't currently track your intake or your weight? What does MFP give you for a goal, and what did you put in for your stats?
  • brendanwhite84
    brendanwhite84 Posts: 219 Member
    If you're looking to get stronger you're going to need to be bigger. I was down to a BMI of 18.75 for my racing weight in 2016 and strength wasn't even remotely on my radar.

I bulked from that to my current BMI of 22.2 eating 3400 calories a day, plus exercise calories. If 2200 feels like a lot to you, you're going to have a bad time. Admittedly there's a pretty big difference in our height but you're still going to have to eat more.
  • ent3rsandman
    ent3rsandman Posts: 170 Member
    You should definitely eat more (i.e. bulk) if you're trying to gain strength and size. 2200 is pretty low for that kind of goal, even for someone that is sedentary. It sounds like you're active outside of lifting, even if it's not necessarily intense, so I'd assume 2200 is at least maintenance for you.

Anyway, we can throw assumptions out the window and just look at the data. Get yourself an app or something that will track your average weight (I use the desktop site Trendweight) and adjust your intake based on what it tells you.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited December 2017
    Sounds like you are active enough to burn 2200, you'll know after 3 or 4 weeks if you stay the same weight eating that amount.

You are same height as me only I maintain at 126lbs. (I have good muscle tone and am medium framed). I maintain on 1950-2000. I am lightly active.
  • edlanglais5
    edlanglais5 Posts: 172 Member
    I wouldn’t say so. I’m 166 with small frame and some muscle development and consume 2400 and whatever I burn through workouts, which is anywhere between 300-500. I probably should be eating more myself.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Hi there!

What is your weight doing when you eat 2200?

This. If you are eating 2200, have been doing so for a while and are maintaining then 2200 is on target.