Options
124»

Replies

• anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    tyrindor wrote: »
    ritzvin wrote: »
    I do understand where tyrindor is coming from... a lot of the high-calorie-dense foods he used to eat may be 'trigger foods' for him that he has trouble moderating, and the portion sizes for some of them may be quite small..and adding them back right now on a regular basis can potentially be a slippery slope.

If you haven't, try adding oil/more oil to your veggies, buy higher-fat cuts of meat, stick to full-fat dairy instead of lowfat (where you can...alas, the tasty pre-flavored variety single-serve cups of greek yogurt, for instance, are all non-fat). (if you aren't meeting calories, then you're probably not getting as much fat as you should be for your health). Add in some snacks (mid-afternoon, etc), eat something both before and after working out, go crazy with the coffee creamer, buy some of the lesser-'trigger' foods in single-serve portions or pre-portion (or buy 1 at a time- as in stop in the bodega and grab 1 candy bar at the end of your run),...

I completely understand and agree with the wisdom of temporarily limiting foods that one struggles to moderate (or even doing it long-term if that works for someone). But OP's triggers/potential triggers probably don't include *all* calorie dense foods and tyrindor has shared that they define all calorie dense foods as personally unhealthy. If that works for them, I'm not going to knock it. But it's probably much more restrictive than OP needs to be, especially since OP is looking for ways to meet their calorie needs.

I didn't mean to come across as claiming that OP was in the exact same situation as me. I was trying to explain why this is possible for the people who were asking how he got fat in the first place.

To be honest, I was pissed after reading the "how are you fat then" comments, so my first reply was pretty rude and directed towards them. I edited it to make it a little less rude, but I was late. The comments didn't sit well with me because I was told the same things when I was doing so well with my weight loss years ago. I followed their advice, started lightly snacking on tasty high calorie foods, and within weeks I was always hungry, always eating, and completely fell off my diet. I didn't get my motivation back until I had put on over 50 pounds again.

I don't know OPs exact situation, but he seemed a lot like me. I wouldn't want to see someone else make the same mistake as I did. In my opinion, slightly under eating is still a lot better than vastly overeating. For me, there was no middle ground.

Like I stated earlier, make sure you take a multi-vitamin and lift weights if you under eat. This helps reduce the 2 biggest problems that can be caused by it.
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    ritzvin wrote: »
    I do understand where tyrindor is coming from... a lot of the high-calorie-dense foods he used to eat may be 'trigger foods' for him that he has trouble moderating, and the portion sizes for some of them may be quite small..and adding them back right now on a regular basis can potentially be a slippery slope.

Sure, but he's hijacking the thread in assuming OP's problem is the same.

Sharing a similar experience to explain why someone can go from "eating way too much" to "not enough" is not hijacking the thread... It's addressing the people that claimed OP's situation didn't make sense.

I don't know why some people are still claiming I was assuming OPs problems is the same as mine. I used my situation as a reference, I never claimed his was the same. I've stated multiple times now that I don't know if OP situation is the same but at least my posts give him something to think about. If he feels he will fall off his diet by adding snacking, then he shouldn't do it in my opinion.

I don't want to assume you assumed, but it sounds like there's a projection of experiences there.
  • NoxeemaJackson
    NoxeemaJackson Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    anubis609 wrote: »
    Cardio seems to blunt hunger in a lot of people and strength training seems to increase appetite.

Thank you for posting this. This is exactly how I am, and I thought I was nuts or something because people said working out makes you hungry and my 5:45 am jazzercise makes me very not hungry, and my 7:45 pm weight lifting makes me want to eat everything the next day.
    I never realized that different types of working out could do different things to hunger...i just thought I was weird! Thank you!
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    If you can shift more calories to the morning that might help. Eat a bigger breakfast and lunch. An extra slice or two of bacon... avocado on the salad/sandwich... I also wouldn't worry that much as long as you eat over 1500 (you are a male) and/or your BMR and it is just now and then. Another thing is to plan a gourmet or cheat meal that will balance those calories on the weekend.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    anubis609 wrote: »
    Cardio seems to blunt hunger in a lot of people and strength training seems to increase appetite.

Thank you for posting this. This is exactly how I am, and I thought I was nuts or something because people said working out makes you hungry and my 5:45 am jazzercise makes me very not hungry, and my 7:45 pm weight lifting makes me want to eat everything the next day.
    I never realized that different types of working out could do different things to hunger...i just thought I was weird! Thank you!

It might sound like common sense, but the reason being is that weight lifting is more of an anabolic activity, meaning the muscles will require more nutrients and protein to repair, recover, and build due to the stress and micro-damage caused to muscle fibers during lifting.

Cardio also requires nutrients for recovery, but there's not enough stress placed on the muscle fibers themselves for any meaningful signal to grow. The caveat to that is for explosive movement (think sprinters, athletes, and gymnasts) that will actually call on different muscle fibers to support those movements. Compare the legs of a sprinter to those of a long distance marathon runner. Vastly different.