Silly Albuterol Question

Options
So...I believe Albuterol is a steroid...is this correct?

I was just prescribed this for bronchitis.

Does it have the potential for water retention/weight gain temporarily? I'd love any experiences.

Thanks!

Replies

• liftorgohome
    liftorgohome Posts: 25,455 Member
    Options
    No it's primarily for breathing relief but fitness people use it b/c it makes running easier and therefore losing weight easier. I had some but stopped taking it b/c it spaced me out a bit, but that wasn't a prescription.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    It is a short-term "bronchodilator," meaning that it opens up the airways. I need it occasionally, such as when doing outdoor cardio during allergy season. Best to use before exercising, but sometimes I've used it again right afterward. Follow medical advice specific to you.

It is a performance enhancer to some extent and is banned in Olympic competition (except for a waver, or something).
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    No, but it is often prescribed with steroids, either as a seperate inhaler/pill or mixed with yhe liquid uses in a nebulizer.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    It is a short-term "bronchodilator," meaning that it opens up the airways. I need it occasionally, such as when doing outdoor cardio during allergy season. Best to use before exercising, but sometimes I've used it again right afterward. Follow medical advice specific to you.

It is a performance enhancer to some extent and is banned in Olympic competition (except for a waver, or something).

Exactly. It's just a short term bronchodilator that opens up the air passages in the lungs to make breathing easier. It is NOT a steroid and does not cause water weight. Nor does it increase appetite.
    They are also called rescue inhalers. I've had one in one form or another for over 42 years.

• angel7472
    angel7472 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    You're thinking of prednisone, which is a steroid. Abuterol is a bronchodialator. One side effect of this is loss of potassium. I take this daily. Along with breathing steroids (Advair) for COPD.
  • Momepro
    Options

Exactly. It's just a short term bronchodilator that opens up the air passages in the lungs to make breathing easier. It is NOT a steroid and does not cause water weight. Nor does it increase appetite.
    They are also called rescue inhalers. I've had one in one form or another for over 42 years.

Really? I'd never have thought of an asthma inhaler being banned, since attacks are often excerise induced. But I guess that wouldn't be as common for seasoned athletes, lol.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    As others have mentioned, it's not a steroid so no worries there.

Just wanted to add that I am on a steroid medication for asthma, which I take twice a day (and have taken this for years). I think that most medications that have "weight gain" as a side effect, it's mostly because those medications increase your appetite. Not everyone's body will respond in the exact same way to medications but for me, personally, I've been on many medications with "weight gain" as a side effect (for asthma, depression, anxiety) but it's never stopped me from losing weight as long as I stick to my calorie goal. I only mention this because if your breathing issues don't clear up with the albuterol, the doctor could end up prescribing a steroid. But don't think that just because you're on a steroid that weight gain is inevitable- that will just set you up for a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I hope you feel better soon! Bronchitis sucks!
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Yep, that was what I was wondering about...hunger...thank you! Thanks to everyone for the solid info. This was a new one for me. I only plan to use it when I'm really wheezy.
  • tuolon
    tuolon Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    You don't want to be young and skinny yet in the graveyard because you can't breathe. Take your inhaler as directed. You need to breathe. It is essential to life. You don't want to fool around with your lungs. I have two sons who have bad asthma. An attack can happen suddenly and put them in the hospital. Seriously, don't fool around with it. By the way, my two sons are both skinny and never had a weight problem. But, I don't care. Breathing comes before weight any day. don't let vanity come before health.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Just be aware that albuterol can cause the jitters, increased heart rate and anxiety (although usually only happens in those who already have anxiety). If any of those become a problem, don't be afraid to talk to your doctor about switching to a different "rescue inhaler".

I, personally, have a lot of trouble with albuterol triggering anxiety melt downs, restless nights and occasionally triggering a manic episode. I was switched to xopenex and since then have done so much better. I have severe asthma though, not bronchitis, so tend to use it a bit more.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Holy Cr*p.

Jitters is right.

Hellllp, LOL.

I got a lovely DM from a fe!low member who had all kinds of great tips...I'm going to investigate those.
  • Momepro
    Options
    Eating helps the jitters. I'be noticed an empty stomach will be more likely to cause it, and treating it like a low blood sugar really hells.
  • duskyjewel
    duskyjewel Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Momepro wrote: »

Really? I'd never have thought of an asthma inhaler being banned, since attacks are often excerise induced. But I guess that wouldn't be as common for seasoned athletes, lol.

My 17 year old is a multi-year three sport athlete. That fact does not impact his asthma diagnosis. It's a disease, not a function of being out of shape. He needs his maintenance med (steroid) and rescue inhaler (albuterol) whether he's in a sports season or not.