Bowel movements

Hello please help.
Pre diet i was eating 2000-2500 calories per day now 6 months in i am 1200-1500 per day. And doing exercise.
However my bowel movements are changing i used to go every day now its almost every 2 days.
Is this because i am eating less?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Assuming you're hydrated and getting sufficient fiber, for many people less food in means . . . less food out. Without knowing anything about your diet, you might just be eating less in volume than you were before and your new patterns are reflecting that.

Do you feel uncomfortable or are you just going less often?
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 600 Member
    Hit your fiber goal daily. Make sure you're well hydrated. Things will get moving.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    If you change the volume and content going in there normally be a change in what comes out.

Just keep up with fiber and water and things may eventually get back to a daily occurrence.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    I had the same issue. Although I was never quite regular to begin with. My doctor had me add a fiber supplement and things are working now!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Hello please help.
    Pre diet i was eating 2000-2500 calories per day now 6 months in i am 1200-1500 per day. And doing exercise.
    However my bowel movements are changing i used to go every day now its almost every 2 days.
    Is this because i am eating less?

Possibly. If you are going normally/easily, just less often, it's likely not a problem. If you feel bloated or experience pain you might want to add more fiber, fat or a probiotic. If that doesn't help, give your doctor a call.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    I've found that if you suddenly increase protein it can cause constipation.if Increasing protein should also increase protein.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited December 2017
    How much dietary fat are you getting? As well as fiber and hydration?
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    edited December 2017
    aeloine wrote: »
    Tbh, I haven't had that issue. I'm on three square poops a day! :D

Square?

Ouch!

FWIW, reducing your intake volume should have some relation to output volume with all things being equal. Often though, all things do not remain equal, significant reductions of fiber and/or fat intake may reduce regularity, and there is some truth to increased protein intake slowing you down (typically due to the additional hydration requirements, and also if your fat/fiber intake is reduced for caloric-net balance).
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    I agree that less in means less out, unless you're actively constipated.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Fiber (there are 2 kinds)....soluble & insoluble, each does it's own thing. https://www.webmd.com/diet/features/insoluble-soluble-fiber

Fluids - stay hydrated

Fats - when I used to eat low fat, I had a terrible time

Stay active, go for a walk if you're sedentary. But I agree, unless you are actively constipated I wouldn't worry too much.
  • batorkin
    batorkin Posts: 281 Member
    Every 2-3 days for me since I started eating less. I wouldn't worry unless you feel bloated or constipated all the time.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    I believe that a range of 1-3 days is considered normal by medical people. You're eating half as much as you used to and pooping half as much. Unless it's causing discomfort or there are other symptoms, I say don't worry too much.
  • Blythmag
    Blythmag Posts: 252 Member
    Must admit to the same.ive had a lot of chicken and rice lately could that have slowed me down?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Must admit to the same.ive had a lot of chicken and rice lately could that have slowed me down?

Possibly, depending on what else you've been eating. Are you reaching your fat goal? How much fiber to you get?

• lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Apples, grapes or raisins, greens will help too.