How much fibre is too much?

jbvpn
jbvpn Posts: 17 Member
Just curious -

I am 21 - 6ft - 69kg looking to gain a little weight about 5kg - want to add flax seeds and chia seeds to my breakfast in the morning but these are high in fibre - my diet is fairly high in fiber already from grains, pulses veg and nuts.

How much fibre is too much or does it vary for each individual?

Replies

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,135 Member
    I think that it is a individual preference and also how much fiber your body can handle. I can't do more than 25grams a day for several days without having lower GI problems. I don't do any kind of seeds do to a mild diverticulitis; my fiber comes from fruit, vegetables, grain waffles and/or English muffins, sometimes brand cereal and/or a couple of prunes at night, if needed. Water and exercise also helps to keep things moving smoothly.

In my opinion is trial and error.

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    I used to get 140+ a day now I get about 80-100 lol. It definitely varies. I know some people who can't tolerate much at all.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    You really can't overdose on fiber to be harmful, however increases can lead to increased gas/bloating, loose stools and if not drinking enough water could cause constipation.

PP how were/are you getting that much fiber in your diet?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    I used to get 140+ a day now I get about 80-100 lol. It definitely varies. I know some people who can't tolerate much at all.

That's your love of Quest bars :D

OP, it is the shift up in fibre intake that tends to cause a problem. Build it up slowly.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    If you are eating so much that you feel bloated and full and can't meet your surplus goals, then it might be too much. I love my fibre but I have to cut back when I'm bulking otherwise I'm too full to hit my calorie goal.