HELP eating 1200 calories and working out with no weightloss?

Options

Replies

• liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    liftingbro wrote: »
    I suggest never eating exercise calories at all. Simply pick a calorie intake level and eat that everyday.

Estimating calories burned can be wildly inaccurate or difficult to do consistently.

IMO, people who eat exercise calories tend to have more problems losing weight.

If someone is at 1,200 calories and close to goal weight, not accounting for exercise calories can result in a very low net. This isn't healthy.

While it can be difficult sometimes to estimate exercise calories, assuming they're "0" is guaranteed to be wrong. Why recommend someone choose the only number that can't be right?

I didn't say to eat 1200 calories, I said just choose an intake level and eat that everyday.

If you don't have a consistent intake it's hard to know what or how much to adjust if things aren't working.
  • liftingbro
    Options
    I suggest never eating exercise calories at all. Simply pick a calorie intake level and eat that everyday.

Estimating calories burned can be wildly inaccurate or difficult to do consistently.

Incorrect. If you can be fairly accurate in knowing your burn then you should definitely eat them back. Or, if you don't want to, use a TDEE calculation, not MFP

TDEE is different than just saying I ran for an hour so I should eat 400 more calories.

TDEE minus 10-20% is good. Problem is people on here use the MFP calculator. I know for a fact it's not good to use the MFP calculation and eat the exercise calories as well. According to MFPI can exercise 30 minutes a day and lose 2 lbs a week by eating 3500 calories a day. I know that I would probably gain weight doing that given my TDEE is ~ 3000
  • WhereIsPJSoles
    WhereIsPJSoles Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you saying she should eat if not 1200 to not eat back any of her exercise calories? When you’re around 5 ft you don’t get a bunch of options from mfp.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

If someone is at 1,200 calories and close to goal weight, not accounting for exercise calories can result in a very low net. This isn't healthy.

While it can be difficult sometimes to estimate exercise calories, assuming they're "0" is guaranteed to be wrong. Why recommend someone choose the only number that can't be right?

I didn't say to eat 1200 calories, I said just choose an intake level and eat that everyday.

If you don't have a consistent intake it's hard to know what or how much to adjust if things aren't working.

Since OP is eating 1,200 calories, it wasn't clear that you were advising them to eat more than that if they're active. If you mean that people should account for their activity when choosing a calorie goal, I agree with that.
  • liftingbro
    Options

Incorrect. If you can be fairly accurate in knowing your burn then you should definitely eat them back. Or, if you don't want to, use a TDEE calculation, not MFP

TDEE is different than just saying I ran for an hour so I should eat 400 more calories.

TDEE minus 10-20% is good. Problem is people on here use the MFP calculator. I know for a fact it's not good to use the MFP calculation and eat the exercise calories as well. According to MFPI can exercise 30 minutes a day and lose 2 lbs a week by eating 3500 calories a day. I know that I would probably gain weight doing that given my TDEE is ~ 3000

This is why most people recommend eating a portion of the exercise calories and then adjusting depending on scale performance since all exercise calorie calculators are estimates... just like TDEE calculators.

You can't really extrapolate your experience to the OP's anyway.

Like I said if she is using a TDEE and calculating each day based on if it's a workout day then that's fine. The problem is using MFP. IMO,it's just a lot easier to eat 1900- everyday than to eat 2250 on a workout day and 1750 on off days for instance.
  • maybe1pe
    maybe1pe Posts: 529 Member
    Options

This is why most people recommend eating a portion of the exercise calories and then adjusting depending on scale performance since all exercise calorie calculators are estimates... just like TDEE calculators.

Like I said if she is using a TDEE and calculating each day based on if it's a workout day then that's fine. The problem is using MFP. IMO,it's just a lot easier to eat 1900- everyday than to eat 2250 on a workout day and 1750 on off days for instance.

It may be easier *for you*, but I don't know if you can decide that it's easier for *everyone*. I personally have no problem eating more some days than I do other days (and if I did, MFP works if you carry calories over into the following days).

Or eat based on a weekly deficit.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    maybe1pe wrote: »

It may be easier *for you*, but I don't know if you can decide that it's easier for *everyone*. I personally have no problem eating more some days than I do other days (and if I did, MFP works if you carry calories over into the following days).

Or eat based on a weekly deficit.

Yep, this is another strategy that works for many people.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options

Well, meet an exception! Granted, I eat back 50% and leave the rest as a cushion against inaccuracies. But I've been dropping weight pretty darn steadily over the last 13 months because by eating back some of my calories, I've got the energy to exercise more. And I seldom get hungry.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    There definitely are answers to be found both in diet breaks AND in accurately measuring your fats, starches & sugars, and proteins.

Yes enough fruit and vegetables can make a difference. I have an MFPeop who eats ~1500g of fruits and vegetables a day. Ya think they count for her?

But, if you don't count your vegetables because it doesn't make a difference.... how many more times a day do you not count something else because it would hardly make a difference?

How accurate are you with your dressing, or peanut butter, or coffee cream, or the oil or butter you cook with? The bite you stole, or sample you tried? What about that half gulp of wine you tasted?

So yes, you probably need to look into both diet breaks and logging.

Including being mentally able to eat at a healthy maintenance level!

All of this! ^ But particularly the bolded.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    consumone wrote: »
    Here is another thought for you - are you sure you are eating enough food? I know when I don't eat enough I don't lose. Than get me going on eating less and less and than my body goes in starvation mode until I eat enough. Be honest with yourself and make sure you are eating the proper amount of food and the right foods.

It is a tough struggle I hear you, don't give up, look at others diaries and get food choices that way. Just maybe it will help, but maybe you also need more calories especially on work out days!

I see this posted often on the forums....that a person is not losing weight because they aren't eating enough food. That's just not going to be the reason someone isn't losing weight. Think about it logically. Eating more food is going to cause you to gain weight. The OP in this thread has stated she isn't weighing and logging all of her food, and is only logging protein. Properly accounting for the calories she is eating is the starting point for her.

The problem with this linear type of thing is that the body doesn't maintain a standard TDEE. So often, by eating greater amounts of calories, one will increase the EE through a variety of means: spontaneous increase to NEAT, TEA (burn more calories through exercise), and TEF. In fact, this happened to me by going from 1800 to 2300 calories and I can't show you others who have increased as much as a 1000 calories and still seeing weight loss.

And while I agree that the OP should weigh her foods, she also really shouldn't be aiming for 1200 calories since she is not very over weight and workouts about 5 hours a week. If anything, she would benefit from a higher calorie diet and potentially incorporate refeeds every so often.

In addition to the great points made above, eating too little can stress the body increasing cortisol. This can cause water weight gain that can mask fat loss. Also, eating too high a deficit can cause lean body mass loss. The OP should look at all of this in addition to tightening up her logging.