question for runners

I've just started to run, and I have terrible blisters on the backs of my heels. I've been walking miles upon miles for awhile now, and occasionally get blisters, but not this bad. I'm going to look for new shoes tomorrow, but is this a continuous thing? Will my feet "toughen up" and stop being so easily susceptible to blisters? Or do you just run through the pain? Also, if you have any tips to prevent blisters, feel free to comment!

TIA!

Replies

• kenzie0884
    kenzie0884 Posts: 66 Member
    Bump! Anyone?
  • lavonnelrausch
    lavonnelrausch Posts: 8 Member
    Couple of suggestions or thoughts on this matter. First go to a running store and get fitted for shoes. As I was getting blisters on the back of my heels and gone through many pairs of shoes. Then I went to a running store got the "right" shoes which helped. I also changed my socks no cotton socks it made a huge difference for me. I hope it helps.
  • copp9
    copp9 Posts: 33
    I started running three weeks ago and suffered for two weeks straight, thinking the exact same thing that my feet would just eventually toughen up. I even went and got nice running shoes that were fitted and running socks and it was still happening because it was so bad from the first few weeks of misery. I was desperate and started researching remedies and found Dr. Scholls Moleskin. I got this much exactly so far: http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=14286&catid=59978&aid=338666&aparam=goobase_filler&device=c&network=g&matchtype= and just reuse my little squares I cut and re-stick them to my heels. Pain gone instantly and now my heels are healing finally. If you can't afford the shoes, at least get running socks. I didn't think it would make that much of a difference (but as I said I was desperate) but the fabric wicking away the moisture totally helped. Good luck to ya!
  • JenRunTriHappyGirl
    JenRunTriHappyGirl Posts: 521 Member
    Its all about trial and error.... are you wearing no show socks? Are your socks too loose? You just have to try different things until you find what works. When I started running longer distances, I was getting blisters on the sides of my toes so I found toe socks that are made to wear with those 5 toe shoes and it worked for me! Just think about what you wear on your feet when you run... where are the hems or the edges? Thicker socks?
  • alikonda
    alikonda Posts: 2,358 Member
    Shoe fit and the RIGHT socks. Any socks that are loose or too silky will rub rub rub against my skin, so I have to buy the special running socks with a fitted band around the arch of the foot. I've been really happy with several versions of Asics running socks, but I've seen good reviews on many other types on both RunningWarehouse.com and Amazon. They're pricey but worth it - just buy one of a kind and try them out properly before you commit too much money, because the same sock does not work for everyone! (For example: a certain pair of Balega running socks had impeccable reviews on both sites but simply do NOT work for me!)
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    shoes and socks

Get fitted at running store and by cheaper online

I like thor-lo socks.
  • Cotton socks are deadly! You can find decently priced wicking socks at Target.
  • kenzie0884
    kenzie0884 Posts: 66 Member
    Can anyone tell me what stores I could get fitted at for running shoes? And I will definitely get new socks! I've just been using my regular old thin ankle socks.
  • cms721
    cms721 Posts: 179 Member
    A specialty running store would be best. Not sure the BIG BOX sports stores would be best for your first pair of shoes. Lots of trial and error coming your way. Take care of your body and it will take care of you (but it will still hurt sometimes) - good luck and enjoy the runs.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Agree with all the posted, get fitted for shoes, no cotton socks.

Also, get a stick of body-glide and put it on everywhere you tend to get blisters, it will be your best friend. You can get it at any sports or outdoor store (like REI).

ETA: Also, sometimes it just happens with new shoes, too. My favorite running shoes left me with a big bloody mess the first time I wore them on a long run, they just needed to be broken in. It does stop happening. Don't give up on a pair of shoes if it happens right at the beginning.
  • shoes and socks

Get fitted at running store and by cheaper online

I like thor-lo socks.

This^ You might try cushion inserts as well
  • Rebekah718
    Rebekah718 Posts: 134 Member
    Like other people have said get the advice about what to buy from the running store but it is a lot cheaper to buy your shoes online based on their advice
  • JKodiak217
    JKodiak217 Posts: 3 Member
    "Body & Sole" is a good running shoe store in my area.
    You might try Google-ing stores for your area.
  • HornedFrogPride
    HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
    Like others have said, get fitted for new shoes & socks at a quality running store. (Yes, buy the shoes online to save $). Lately I've been just taping over blisters with either blister pads or KT (kinesiology tape). KT tape can help with blister prevention and treatment a lot. There was just an article about KT tape in Military Times magazine. If you go to my facebook running page at www.facebook.com/RunGrooveShark, I put the link up there on KT tape in the past 2-3 days if it is helpful to you. Sometimes Injinji socks seem to prevent blisters more than some others if you wear Five Fingers. Some runners are wearing Injinji socks inside minimalist shoes, too. Hope this helps. -Jeremy
  • Where will you go to to be fitted when the running stores go out of business? If you don't want to buy from them you shouldn't waste their time and money.
  • hehicaescobedo
    hehicaescobedo Posts: 2 Member
    I like your question and was wondering the same thing for myself. I just started training for my first half marathon and I was having shin splints up the wazoo, I thought it was the way I was running, then I blamed it on my socks. I went to a running store and they had me try on at least 8 pairs of shoes, each time I ran up and down this small path. They video taped my feet each time, to see where my issues may have been coming from. Turns out my old shoes did not have enough support in a certain area of my foot. That store was awesome. The first day of one of my long runs I didn't have any shin splints. But my toes received blisters, OUCH!! Someone told me about wrapping my problem areas in mole skin, has anyone heard of that?
  • Skye_NS
    Skye_NS Posts: 214 Member
    Sounds like you are getting lots of great advice! I'm just getting back into running after a very long break and looking into getting fitted for running shoes soon as well.

This might sound like a funny question but, have you tried lacing your shoes differently? While nothing can replace getting the correct shoe for your foot, this might help make things a little more comfortable. Here are a few examples of different techniques. http://katierunsthis.com/2011/10/04/running-shoe-lacing-techniques/
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    No, this is not normal. I run for three hours and don't get blisters. You must go to a specialty running store. Invest in shoes.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Couple of suggestions or thoughts on this matter. First go to a running store and get fitted for shoes. As I was getting blisters on the back of my heels and gone through many pairs of shoes. Then I went to a running store got the "right" shoes which helped. I also changed my socks no cotton socks it made a huge difference for me. I hope it helps.

Exactly this, shoes make a huge difference, and ditch the cotton socks.

Rigger