Keto beginner at 42 - positive people wanted

Good December morning! It’s cold as heck outside and DARK. Being motivated in winter is a challenge and I want to be my own super hero. Also looking for beautiful minds so we can inspire each other. Match each other’s efforts by just showing up and being YOU! Well, here goes! Welcome to Wednesday morning, cardio warm up, free weights, body weight moves, ending with 2 mile incline speed walk :) May your workout light that fire within to remind you that nothing is impossible

Replies

• HalfOff2017
    HalfOff2017 Posts: 1 Member
    Hey there. I'm stuck in bed after foot surgery. I'm so bored. I'm trying low carb but I'm already at my max for day! Yikes!
  • shelleyann1976
    shelleyann1976 Posts: 10 Member
    Count me in! I’m a long time low carber, but took some time off to try the “moderation” thing. I felt terrible, so I started Keto again this week. I need motivation and accountability!
  • Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    I'm a KETO person and try to log accurately - just don't look at Sunday, it was a BAD day and of course I was knocked out of ketosis but I keep an open diary if you're interested in being friends.
  • nclmcdon
    nclmcdon Posts: 4 Member
    Hello! I've been doing Keto for two weeks and have lost already. I'm loving it but feel very weak....anyone feel like that while I'm keto? I've already been through the "flu" part.
  • judyhughes752
    judyhughes752 Posts: 3 Member
    I'm a Keto beginner at age 56. Also started a work out program that I am loving. I needed a change big time and I am already feeling results
  • wnyportgirl
    wnyportgirl Posts: 2 Member
    Hi! Been doing the Keto WOE since June. Didn't have a lot of weight to loose but lost quite a few inches! Most days I'm good with keeping carbs under 16g or so (with a mental limit of 20g) but I allow myself a cheat meal on Saturday nights and every other Friday I go to happy hour. Still do really well and work out like a fiend. That helps.
  • wnyportgirl
    wnyportgirl Posts: 2 Member
    nclmcdon wrote: »
    Hello! I've been doing Keto for two weeks and have lost already. I'm loving it but feel very weak....anyone feel like that while I'm keto? I've already been through the "flu" part.

Are you actually in ketosis? You might to play with your macros a little. When I started everyone told me I didn't have to worry about calorie counting - I wasn't losing but was maintaining my weight. Once I cut some calories (I didn't go overboard) I started feeling better and had more energy - which makes NO sense at all. I'd play with what your macros are. Try maybe more fat and less carbs or more protein.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    nclmcdon wrote: »

@nclmcdon you are probably low in electrolytes. When you reduce carbs, insulin levels fall, and it is insulin that makes us hold onto sodium and water weight. You probably lost a lot of sodium, and possibly potassium and magnesium, along with a few pounds of water. You need to replace it with 3000-5000mg of sodium a day (there is 2300mg of sodium in a teaspoon of salt) or you'll be fatigued, headachy, have stomach and BM issues, brain fogged, and muscle aches and spasms.

I know it sounds like a lot of salt, but trust me, it really does help. Try a cup of bullion or salt with water. :)
  • megdatto
    megdatto Posts: 1 Member
    Hey I'm a new keto person too, friend me! I've been on the diet loosely for 4 months and so far lost 33lbs. Just started tracking macros on here a few days ago and it's going much faster!

@nclmcdon Totally agree with @nvmomketo about the electrolytes. I get bad leg cramps and feel very tired without them. You can grab electrolyte salts pills on amazon, and I also use nuun water additives.
  • mrraschmitt2016
    mrraschmitt2016 Posts: 1 Member
    Help. I want to do a Keto diet to loss 43 lbs. need help planning my carbs. Two days and I'm over all the time.
  • bbjnkidz
    bbjnkidz Posts: 32 Member
    I have found an excellent book by Leanne Vogel called "The Keto Diet". She addresses many of the issues that affect us in our day to day struggles, "cheat days", different methods of Keto diet, and includes many recipes. This has been a very useful tool for me.
    I have been doing Keto for two weeks and lost 13 lbs.