Insulin resistance and exercise

Options
I’m trying lose about 60 lbs and struggle with insulin resistance and PCOS. I’m just wondering if anyone else is dealing with these issues and have found a particular type of exercise/duration of exercise that seems to work better for losing /maintaining weight? Any help is greatly appreciated. :)

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Find one you enjoy. Personally, a combination between cardio and resistance training is ideal.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    Where exercise is concerned, what is important is being consistent and exercising regularly. Type and duration would be to more specific goals. As a matter of general fitness and well being, the AHA recommends 150 minutes per week of light to moderate exercise...so that's usually a good jumping off point. More specific goals would dictate training beyond that.
  • Stapledmustard
    Stapledmustard Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've found when my PCOS is "under control" I have a much easier time losing weight. I just had to come off one of the meds I was using to regulate it, its been rough. But it's doable! But make sure you're seeing your doc(s) regularly for those concerns. It'll help. Like I saw someone else mention, the food is more important when it comes to the insulin resistance aspect of it. As far as exercise, since we have higher levels of certain "male" hormones, we have an easier time building muscle, so strength exercises are awesome!! But like any other person trying to lose weight you need to spread it out, do a mix of cardio and strength training. Add some yoga in on occasion. Take a dance class. Do what makes you feel good. (It is, after all, much easier to keep on working out if you're doing something you enjoy!) Good luck to you!
  • sksk1026
    sksk1026 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Same health issues. Don't think you need to exercise a lot to make a difference. A 30 min daily walk, metformin and lower carb eating kept my a1c in the normal range even before i started losing weight on mfp. I'm now losing weight steadily. I've recently added Nordic walking sticks to the mix so I can work my upper body as I walk. I found that a lower carb diet helped me best manage the food cravings that can come with insulin resistance. So i keep my carbs between 50 - 100g per day. I bump fat up instead.
  • Aishap1913
    Aishap1913 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Stress and sleep play a major role in PCOS.
  • joyhoffman9340
    joyhoffman9340 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank ͏y͏o͏u for all of the suggestions. I already follow a low carb lifestyle. I’m pretty much gluten free due inflammation issues. This cut out almost all of my refined carbs. I’m also trying to greatly reduce refined sugars because of the IR and inflammation. Exercise has been my stumbling block as the only thing I loved to do is beyond my budget these days. I guess it’s time to find a new love. :#
  • davidylin
    davidylin Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Find one you enjoy. Personally, a combination between cardio and resistance training is ideal.
    I resist cardio. #doesthatcount
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    davidylin wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I resist cardio. #doesthatcount

01fbd835d82c29537c46ad4681d201b3.jpg
  • joyhoffman9340
    joyhoffman9340 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    :D
  • Danica34
    Danica34 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    What I've been told and am currently trying, is that with insulin resistant pcos it is better to do shorter workouts and strength training. Long high intensity workouts are only going to make the insulin resistance worse. I have been doing a 15-20 minute HIIT workout 3-4 times a week or strength training 15-20 minutes and a walk with my dogs (for the cardio). Someone had mentioned metformin, just be careful because it affects everyone differently, for me it dropped my blood sugar too low and I would get shakey and dizzy/lightheaded. I was told that ovasitol (really any of the inositol combinations) help with pcos symptom, I'm going to get some this weekend and try it.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    The best exercise is the type you will do. Ideally, you will do some form of both cardio and resistance training. Fortunately, there are many variations of both to choose from.

I do have to take issue with what someone stated above regarding diet being the most important factor in insulin sensitivity. Studies have shown that exercise plays such an important part in improving insulin sensitivity that its impact should not be lightly disregarded at all.

Oh, before I forget, I do believe it's also been noted that women with PCOS seem to benefit especially from weight training.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else, find something enjoyable. If you don't love it, find something you can do quickly, and possibly after meals which will help bring down BG more quickly.

Danica34 wrote: »
    What I've been told and am currently trying, is that with insulin resistant pcos it is better to do shorter workouts and strength training. Long high intensity workouts are only going to make the insulin resistance worse. I have been doing a 15-20 minute HIIT workout 3-4 times a week or strength training 15-20 minutes and a walk with my dogs (for the cardio). Someone had mentioned metformin, just be careful because it affects everyone differently, for me it dropped my blood sugar too low and I would get shakey and dizzy/lightheaded. I was told that ovasitol (really any of the inositol combinations) help with pcos symptom, I'm going to get some this weekend and try it.

Metformin does not lower BG. It will reduce the amount if BG that your liver makes though. If you are taking insulin, you may need to lower your insulin if you are also using metformin.

Rapidly falling BG, if one relies on carbs and glucose as their primary fuel, can create the sensation of low BG even when it is not low. At my oral glucose tolerance test, my BG fell from a 9 to a 4 something in about an hour. It was not low but I was shaking and sweating. KWIM? :)

This seems to happen more at a high carb intake, mainly where the carbs are refined and sugary without much fibre, and also when carbs are taken without protein or fat. Lower refund carbs and more protein epwith your carbs may help.