Depression after weight loss

I've lost over 100 pounds but am struggling badly with depression. I was unhappy with my health and weight at 250 pounds, but not depressed. The depression has crept in over the past 2 months and steadily been getting worse. I have an intake appointment at a therapy practice scheduled for next week. I am afraid of being medicated and taking any meds that might increase my appetite after all the work I've put in to lose this weight. But I feel like I have to do this for my family's sake. I'm no good to them as a miserable husk. I have read online that there is some connection between losing a large amount of weight and depression, possibly linked to hormones stored in fat. I don't really know anything about that, but I just want to feel like myself again. Can anyone relate?

Replies

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,517 Member
    Looking back I think I was depressed at 285lbs. Outside a happy fat guy. Inside didn't care if I lived or died.

As I closed in on my 184lb goal, I had a kind of identity crisis. If I wasn't always going to be the guy trying to lose, quietly berating myself for never getting it done, who was I?

I was relived when I found not much changed when I got to goal. Kept tracking. Eventually had to make myself eat more. Nagging voice quit. But in a way I kept on dieting. My food choices didn't change much, just the portions. Helped.

Good luck.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,734 Member
    First of all, congrats on your huge success! The depression could be a result of the drastic change your body has gone through, so give it time and just keep doing what you're doing to maintain your weight.

It also could have nothing to do with your weight loss, so I'm glad you have an appt scheduled to talk to someone. Even if they suggest meds you don't have to take them. Speak up for yourself and be clear on how you'd like to manage and hopefully alleviate the depression without medication. Best of luck to you!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    @zlagv I am glad you make the appointment. A lot of stuff can get stored in our adipose tissue that then gets dumped into our system for it to deal with finally. You have done well and I expect with the right guidance you will come out a double winner both physically and mentally. Best of continued success.
  • tuolon
    tuolon Posts: 107 Member
    All I can say is I hope you feel better. Just make sure you are getting the proper nutrients because that make effect your happiness.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited December 2017
    It could be actual depression caused by hormonal issues whether related to your weight loss or maybe something else.

Is it possible that there's always been an issue looming somewhere else in your life and that you've been distracted from it by your weight loss activities?

Something as big as losing a lot of weight can definitely keep our attention off other things we also need to tend to. It's wonderful that you've lost the weight and I hope you feel really proud of yourself for that, but if you're struggling there might be other things you need to tend to now.

Consider if it's actually depression with no cause or if there are things in your life that you're upset, disappointed, frustrated or otherwise unhappy with.

I'm not meaning to discount that it might be actual depression, just encouraging you to look deeper.

In any case, I'm so glad you're getting the help you need. Discuss your recent weight loss with them and your concerns about appetite induced weight gain. They should be able to incorporate that into your counseling as well.

All the best.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited December 2017
    Your concerns are valid. I encourage you to talk to your therapist about your concerns.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Losing weight healthily shouldn't make you depressed. I don't think there's any sinister homones things going on. Maybe you've always been depressed, but the awareness necessary to lose weight has also made you more aware of your emotions. Maybe you've been lacking in one or more nutrients. Maybe you're missing the foods and the lifestyle you had before. Maybe you've just become depressed, unrelated to weightloss. Medication should not be the first line of action, you'll most likely be offered talk therapy long before anitdepressants are considered, so don't hesitate to seek help.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Good on you for recognizing the signs and reaching out for help.

Society doesn’t always reward the successful dieter the way we might think. It’s an indicator of courage, self discipline and determination.

But family and friends don’t always welcome the change in relational dynamics that come with this sort of change.

It can be an eye opener that even a great change like this does not fix everything.

Not that I’m projecting this sort of dynamics in your situation. You may just have straightforward clinical depression.

https://youtu.be/XiCrniLQGYc

https://www.ted.com/talks/diana_nyad_never_ever_give_up/up-next
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,169 Member
    Don't be afraid of medication. If they work to relieve your depression you may find you're better able to continue to be disciplined about weight loss. There are a number of medications nowadays that do not have weight gain as a side effect.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    zlagv wrote: »
    I've lost over 100 pounds but am struggling badly with depression. I was unhappy with my health and weight at 250 pounds, but not depressed. The depression has crept in over the past 2 months and steadily been getting worse. I have an intake appointment at a therapy practice scheduled for next week. I am afraid of being medicated and taking any meds that might increase my appetite after all the work I've put in to lose this weight. But I feel like I have to do this for my family's sake. I'm no good to them as a miserable husk. I have read online that there is some connection between losing a large amount of weight and depression, possibly linked to hormones stored in fat. I don't really know anything about that, but I just want to feel like myself again. Can anyone relate?

Not all drugs for depression cause weight gain. Some may help with loss because depression makes loss difficult.

Also have you considered seasonal affective disorder? The timing may be about right. Part of that treatment can be a light box...a stimulant.