Good News for Diabetics - Weight Loss Works

Options
2»

Replies

• michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I'm sure OP didn't mean to offend you. The fact is that 95% of diabetics in US are T2 so I don't It's an unreasonable statement by OP.

As for the 33 lbs lost, that's about what it took me for doc to declare me diabetes-free, even though I was still 100+ overweight.

I was told that you can never be diabetes-free once you are diagnosed diabetic. Your pancreas will never work normally again, but your lifestyle changes can reduce your sugar level and thus reduce the risk of diabetic complications.
    I'm sure OP didn't mean to offend you. The fact is that 95% of diabetics in US are T2 so I don't It's an unreasonable statement by OP.

As for the 33 lbs lost, that's about what it took me for doc to declare me diabetes-free, even though I was still 100+ overweight.

I was told that you can never be diabetes-free once you are diagnosed diabetic. Your pancreas will never work normally again, but your lifestyle changes can reduce your sugar level and thus reduce the risk of diabetic complications.

this is what I was told to. i'm type two diabetic. I beat it once with just exercise but then I went back to old habits it came back with fury. but yeah I was told once you have it. you have it for life
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    http://drc.bmj.com/content/bmjdrc/4/1/e000258.full.pdf

Eating fewer carbs and higher protein (and higher fat) can also reverse many cases of T2D or prediabetes too, often before weight loss.

The fat intake on both arms of the study was the same.

I'm not sure how you're reaching your conclusion here, to be honest.

The carb intake on the high protein arm was modest and not exactly low (45%), and the fat intake is around what MFP recommends. The carbs were only fractionally reduced from what most MFP'ers already eat.

You adding a LCHF slant to these findings is a real reach, considering the macro mix in the actual study.

I put the "(and higher fat)" in parenthesis because that part was not addressed in the link I posted. I guess I should gave added italics and a disclaimer, eh?

Replacing less healthy carbs - meaning refined carbs and sugar - with fats is also an effective way to reduce BG, A1C and prevent diabetic complications that go along with uncontrolled or poorly controlled T2 diabetes.

But the study didn't even support that. Because the fat was constant. If anything, it called for replacing carbs with protein. And saying that's a reach. You're not interpreting the study correctly, and it seemed as if that's what you were trying to do.

Now, if you're making a separate statement, that's another story.

The study itself was about something else entirely, though.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    http://drc.bmj.com/content/bmjdrc/4/1/e000258.full.pdf

Eating fewer carbs and higher protein (and higher fat) can also reverse many cases of T2D or prediabetes too, often before weight loss.

The fat intake on both arms of the study was the same.

I'm not sure how you're reaching your conclusion here, to be honest.

The carb intake on the high protein arm was modest and not exactly low (45%), and the fat intake is around what MFP recommends. The carbs were only fractionally reduced from what most MFP'ers already eat.

You adding a LCHF slant to these findings is a real reach, considering the macro mix in the actual study.

I put the "(and higher fat)" in parenthesis because that part was not addressed in the link I posted. I guess I should gave added italics and a disclaimer, eh?

Replacing less healthy carbs - meaning refined carbs and sugar - with fats is also an effective way to reduce BG, A1C and prevent diabetic complications that go along with uncontrolled or poorly controlled T2 diabetes.

But the study didn't even support that. Because the fat was constant. If anything, it called for replacing carbs with protein. And saying that's a reach. You're not interpreting the study correctly, and it seemed as if that's what you were trying to do.

Now, if you're making a separate statement, that's another story.

The study itself was about something else entirely, though.

That was my point. My parenthesis were separate and had nothing to do with the paper. i know it was a separate point. I should have written:

"The link shows fewer carbs and higher protein can reverse many cases of T2D or prediabetes too, often before weight loss.

Replacing carbs with higher fat can also reverse many cases of T2D and prediabetes too, often before weight loss. This information is from a separate source!! Read Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution for more information. Or use common sense to realize that reducing the amount of exogenous glucose/carbs you consume will result in lower blood glucose because gluconeogenesis tends not to creat excessive glucose for no reason."
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    Exercise and diet cures most cases of DM2. MEds get very little training on nutrition and still know that and that's why it's the #1 recommendation.