I called Special K today....

Options
Today I called Special K because I eat their sausage, egg and cheese flatbread regularly. I sometimes take things off and add other things to them. I was curious what the calorie count of each individual item is. So when I remove an item I know the new count. This could be a little “extra”’on my part but because I do this really often it will matter over time. Special K said they were sorry but they had no idea what the breakdown of each item is. I asked how they came up with the total calories of 240 without knowing the calories of each item. She said that was a great question and she’s never been asked that before. Well. Okay. Lol. This can be solved but just making my own but I don’t always have time. I found it interesting.

Replies

• HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    The customer service reps probably wouldn't have that information, the information is probably made up by a few group of people within the company who are responsible for that. It is not likely information they would have on hand.
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    The customer service reps probably wouldn't have that information, the information is probably made up by a few group of people within the company who are responsible for that. It is not likely information they would have on hand.
    Makes sense. She gave me an email for a person she felt like would have the answer. They were like “sorry. No.” Lol.
  • edlanglais5
    edlanglais5 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Hamilton Beach has a breakfast sandwich maker for 23.85 on amazon. Bam! Problem solved lol. I only know this because it’s on my shopping list for a family gift.
  • DanniB423
    Options
    pogiguy05 wrote: »
    Usually companies send out items to labs and they are ground up and processed to find out how many calories and other stats are in it. At least that is what i have seen in the past.

You know how they estimate expiration dates? I worked at a small bakery company years ago. they cook it and package it. then check it everyday to see when the first signs of mold or anything else happens. then it is documented and there you have it.

This makes sense. Never thought of it that way. From now on I will just eat it as it comes or make my own. It isn’t going to make or break me right now but closer to goal I want to be more precise. Thank you!
  • DanniB423
    Options
    Hamilton Beach has a breakfast sandwich maker for 23.85 on amazon. Bam! Problem solved lol. I only know this because it’s on my shopping list for a family gift.

Nice. Amazon prime is my BFF.
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,133 Member
    Options
    It has to do with how a company would get their calorie numbers. Unlike you here on MFP adding the various components together, they send the finished product to a lab where they use a bomb calorimeter to measure the total calories for the food item. They don't do it for each portion, only the whole thing. That means they would have no idea what the difference would be without certain portions without spending the money to test the various combinations which they won't do. Best bet it when you take off something, weigh it and find an appropriate entry to get the calorie numbers. It should be close enough.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Well you could weigh each part and find a sausage, egg, cheese and flatbread and figure out about how many calories each part might be if you don't want to make your own.

Something like this, but not the same weights as the Special K product parts because I don't know those.
    28 g pork and turkey sausage 95 calories
    46 g egg product 25 calories
    19 g 2% American cheese slice 45 calories
    43 g multi grain flatbread rounds 100 calories
    Total 265 calories