The Struggle

Options
Just a half week in- doing well but I feel like I'm struggling. I try to keep myself focused and busy in the evenings - which is my weak time.
Would love to hear how others got through the beginning and tried to deal with and overcome weak moments.

Replies

• HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    What is it about evenings that you struggle with? are you following debunked rules about eating at night? Are you saving yourself enough calories to snack at night? Are you maybe not a breakfast eater but eating breakfast anyway and could instead be using those as night time eating calories? are you omitting foods for no real reason other then thinking it helps with weight loss and it's causing you to have cravings?
  • ehloring
    ehloring Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I think evenings are my down time where I am probably less challenged (bored). I tend to watch tv and you know what goes with tv- snacking. But I've been crocheting or I watch tv in bed so I'm not around food. I have a healthy calorie allowance and I save most of my calories for the evening. I don't exactly deny myself. I have thought about eating later but I am so hungry by the time I get home from work ( from limiting my calories) that I don't like to wait too long. Plus I go to bed early - like 8 or 8 :30. I'd appreciate hearing how others pushed through.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    Options
    I would say you are doing what others would do, just trying to keep their mind on something else until its time for sleep.

Tea, i hear people drink tea sometimes.
  • ehloring
    Options
    I actually have tea to try and give an eating "closure" to my day. Tonight I had the hungry horrors and had coffee and one biscotti. Luckiy my daughter visited with her baby and that distracted me from thinking about it. Also- I don't have a lot of options in the house to splurge on.
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    maybe get some sugar free gum. If you do get the munchie feeling do some situps or pushups. :p For me I started going to the gym and I just was not gonna work my butt off in the gym and then eat crappy at night.
  • ehloring
    Options
    I'm not a gum chewer but it's a good suggestion. I have been going to the gym after work. I'm thinking about extending my workout time. That will push up my dinner time. I'll try anything!!
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    Options
    ehloring wrote: »
    I'm not a gum chewer but it's a good suggestion. I have been going to the gym after work. I'm thinking about extending my workout time. That will push up my dinner time. I'll try anything!!

Im not a gum chewer either... but i have B.E.D... so nothing like that ever worked for me lol..
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    For me, there's munchies and then there's hunger. If I am hungry enough to eat carrots for instance, then I eat something small. If I'm just poking around for something interesting (typically something sweet), I'll try gum or brushing my teeth. Tea has worked sometimes too.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    It honestly takes practice. Starting off you may struggle with evenings, if you keep trying to change your habits, eventually you'll succeed more and more often.

Even those of us who've developed good habits over time fall mouth first into the pantry on occasion. You'll get there.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,039 Member
    Options
    Rooibos tea is slightly sweet ... makes a nice sweet finish for the day. Lemon ginger tea helps settle my stomach if it feel kind of rumbly like it wants food. And chamomile tea seems to help me relax just before bed.

I go with flavoured rooibos (orange cinnamon) and chamomile (apple cinnamon or vanilla honey) because I'm not too fond of plain rooibos and chamomile. But you can experiment.

Those might be a few options to try.
  • Blythmag
    Blythmag Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    You need low calorie munchy food !

Try pickled onions.
    Carrott sticks
    Cream crackers(30 cals each)
    Apples
    Coffee

This is what i use, i always "try" and keep a couple of hundred for pre bed munchies .

Stick at it, this works
  • Blythmag
    Blythmag Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Instant flavoured porrige is good too, 180 calories is a filling snack.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Are you hungry or do you just want to eat because you're bored? (Ask yourself, does a meal sound great just now)? What's your height and weight and what's your calorie target?