Is this a good plan?

Options
I'm retired, 66 yrs. old, 5'11', and 258 lbs. Down from 275. Mild COPD is a constraint, but not disabling.
My only regular exercise used to be walking but since a car broke my leg on a sidewalk couple years ago, nothing at all.

So I guess I'm off to Planet Fitness. Sampled opinions about PF in various places including MFP. Don't think grunt prohibitions or limited free weights will be an issue.

Hoping to get some initial advice from PF staff on a few machines to increase overall strength, fitness, and metabolism.

Strength machines maybe Mon., Wed., Fri.
Walking and/or biking machines maybe Tues., Thurs., Sat.
  1. Are these sound and effective strategies?
  2. Is the schedule reasonable?
  3. Any suggestions or pitfall warnings?
Thank you for your interest.

Replies

• Ann262
    Ann262 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Well, it is a good plan but 6 days per week, after nothing at all for years. I think it would be better to set a goal that says something like "strength at least X days per week and cardio machines at least X times per week". That goal gives you more flexibility. With the "at least" you can always do more. With the the number of days per week, instead of specific days, you can always move things around to different days. Even though you are retired, life will happen. It will feel better if you can adjust the schedule when it does.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good place to start. The only thing I'd be wary of is going 6x week. Depending on intensity, you may be fine, or you may not... so pay attention to how your feeling and be sure to give you body sufficient rest/recovery time.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I like your plan with its mix of strength and cardio but build up slowly - as we age our bodies take longer to adapt to new demands, not just muscles but tendons, ligaments, joints....
    It's too easy to go from zero to hero to injury.

Maybe x2 this week, x3 next week, x4 the week after etc....

Hints - focus on the compound lifts first with a balance of push and pull but the gym staff should be able to create a balanced plan for you. Do be clear to the PTs what your goals and restrictions are though otherwise you might just get a cookie cutter routine rather than something designed for your own needs.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Hmm. Thanks to you both of you for the warning. Allow me to test a thought. Because of my lung problem, the muscular intensity of my cardio "workouts" will be minimal. Currently walking 2.5 miles an hour on flat terrain gets my heart rate into the target range. Even when I was walking on average several miles a day 3.5 mph was about all I could manage. So in terms of muscle recovery, it seems the schedule is more like 3 days per week than 6 days. In spite of using a treadmill or bike every other day, my muscles will really be getting 48 hours recovery between workouts. But I'm neither experienced nor knowledgeable about all this and might be looking at it all wrong.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    OldHobo wrote: »

That schedule is perfect if you ramp up slowly in duration & intensity.
    Strength machines do the form for you, so they undertrain coordination skills, which are essential for real-world strength & injury avoidance. So unless you lift heavy things regularly in your daily life, most trainers would recommend including freeweights and/or cable machines in the near future. A good program for your age group is New Rules of Lifting for Life, which is a book. :+1:
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness has trainers and some are good...you could talk to the trainer at the PF you go to
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    OldHobo wrote: »

That schedule is perfect if you ramp up slowly in duration & intensity.
    Strength machines do the form for you, so they undertrain coordination skills, which are essential for real-world strength & injury avoidance. So unless you lift heavy things regularly in your daily life, most trainers would recommend including freeweights and/or cable machines in the near future. A good program for your age group is New Rules of Lifting for Life, which is a book. :+1:
    Thanks for the recommendation. Reading it now.