The scale is my enemy.

Options
I noticed last night that the scale is my enemy. I have the scale in my bathroom. I had a great day ate well and went to gym. I stepped on the scale before showering and no progress in 2 days. What a bummer. I felt like a failure at that instant. As I thought about it I’m like jess it’s been 2 days since u last weighed urself what are u expecting. Be realistic. I just become so obsessed with the numbers on the scale going down that I weigh myself almost every day. I shocked myself yesturday that I didn’t give up and go binge. It’s been a week and a half I’ve lost 4 pounds which is great but in my mind not good enough. I hid the scale and am going to only weigh myself once a week. This is going to be a challenge.

Replies

• Jingsi84
    Jingsi84 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I feel you. It has been four days since I have lost any weight and I've been eating well. I weigh myself morning and night bearing in mind that usually at night I'm up about 2 pounds over the course of the day. Last night I was excited because the scale showed that instead of being up two pounds I had finally lost a pound. Then after sleeping I weighed myself again and I was back up the darn pound. Where does it come from when you are sleeping and didn't eat, drink or work out? I know the body doesn't lose fat linearly but I wish it would.
  • Jingsi84
    Jingsi84 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Also wise choice to weigh once a week. It'd likely save me some heartache but I hate surprises. I guess as long as we stick with the plan that is all that matters. Nice work not binging.
  • Kamille68
    Kamille68 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    For years I weighted myself every day. Now I weigh myself only on Sunday or Monday.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    understanding that your body weight fluctuates daily was key for me - now i don't see a number and think i gained 2lbs over night...its oh, I slept bad or had a higher sodium day - but i know the weight will come down

weighing daily and using a trend app like Libra/HappyScale can help
  • MrsJ1210
    MrsJ1210 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I allow my clothes to tell me how I'm doing. I find that by standing on the scales in the bathroom can be somewhat demoralizing
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    My weight changes every day ... and for me, it was recognizing that this is normal that finally cured me of the 'scale angst' that I would experience when I weighed myself only one day a week .... so now, I weigh myself every morning, actually, before I leave the bathroom after my morning getting ready to dress ritual. I record the weight and look at the trend ... What I am looking for is the average weight of the current 7 days to be lower than the average weight for the 7days before that.

Keeps things in perspective for me.

PS ... it's so easy to do, as most spread sheets, if you swipe through several numbers in a row will give you a sum/average/low/high/count in the status bar at the bottom of the sheet. ... So no math is involved ... but, I do have a cell in my spreadsheet at displays the 7-day average so I have a permanent record of it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I noticed last night that the scale is my enemy. I have the scale in my bathroom. I had a great day ate well and went to gym. I stepped on the scale before showering and no progress in 2 days. What a bummer. I felt like a failure at that instant. As I thought about it I’m like jess it’s been 2 days since u last weighed urself what are u expecting. Be realistic. I just become so obsessed with the numbers on the scale going down that I weigh myself almost every day. I shocked myself yesturday that I didn’t give up and go binge. It’s been a week and a half I’ve lost 4 pounds which is great but in my mind not good enough. I hid the scale and am going to only weigh myself once a week. This is going to be a challenge.

If you weigh yourself at different times of the day you'll get different weights...
  • sviers13
    sviers13 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I also struggle with the number on the scale. I can look in the mirror and think I look great and then step on the scale and suddenly, I'm fat. I've lost 27 lbs but have been stuck for like, two years. I quit drinking 5 & 1/2 years ago and gained 50 lbs in one year. It's taken four years to lose half of that weight. I have the same struggle with my calorie goal. It's like I panic when I look at it and all I can think about is how much I would like to just not think about it! I feel like I would do better if I just kept track of everything without there being a goal. I need to trick myself into calming down and just doing the most healthy thing.

Does anyone else have this problem? How do you keep those numbers from becoming a trigger to unhealthy behavior?
  • braveshine
    braveshine Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've found that numbers on the scale are the quickest way to break you. Like the person above mentioned, I can feel great and think that I look great, but the second I see the number on the scale I notice every bulge and crease. It certainly changes the way that I look and feel about myself. Ive forced myself into weighing monthly instead of weekly in an attempt to hold onto motivation.